Summary: GENERAL CHEMISTRY INTERACTIVE CD-ROM compliments the one- or two-term general chemistry course. Developed by William J. Vining (University of Massachusetts, Amherst), John C. Kotz (State University of New York, Oneonta), and Patrick Harman, GENERAL CHEMISTRY INTERACTIVE CD-ROM is one of the most successful pieces of science education software ever published. The basis of this dynamic and proven teaching and learning tool is that students learn by doing. Technology ca ...show moren now be used to enhance student learning and efficiency by directly leading them to think and explore through interactive computer-based exercises. This unique interactive multimedia program is available packaged with any Brooks/Cole general chemistry text (at a significant discount) or as a stand-alone item.Edition/Copyright: 03
- NEW! "Intelligent Tutors"--interactive problem solving tutors--ask questions and then give guiding feedback to help the student solve the problem. These problems are "parameterized" so that each time a student uses the material they get a different problem of the same type. Classroom tests at the University of Massachusetts have shown an average improvement of one letter grade for students who use these types of tutors.
- With more than 200 original animated sequences, students learn to visualize key concepts, mechanisms, and experiments.
- Narrated problem-solving hints and suggestions are provided to facilitate student mastery of problem-solving skills.
- NEW! Students learn by doing! "Guided Simulations" give students a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts. While other programs contain simulations, only those on GENERAL CHEMISTRY INTERACTIVE CD-ROM offer a truly guided approach to designing and performing simulated lab experiments. These guided simulations offer a chemical system based on an experiment or a theoretical relationship, helping students develop conceptual knowledge and scientific reasoning. Tests conducted at the University of Massachusetts show significant improvement in students' abilities to examine data, draw conclusions, and discern relationships when they use guided simulations.
- NEW! Students critically analyze visual media with the new "Media-based exercises"--interactive explorations of animations, movies and graphic images--ask students to examine the chemical principles behind multimedia presentations of chemical events.
- NEW! More than 250 new interactive exercises have been added to Version 3.0!
- NEW! This significantly revised CD-ROM features dozens of new and modified animations, videos, and audio tracks.
- NEW! GENRERAL CHEMISTYR INTERACTIVE maximizes electronic homework systems. This is important because, while many students study hard, all students do what they get credit for. By attaching the advanced learning tools resident in GENERAL CHEMISTRY INTERACTIVE to an electronic homework system, instructors have the ability to target which aspects of their course they truly want their students to concentrate on.
- Students can watch more than 150 full-motion videos showing chemical reactions in progress.
- Students interact with hundreds of three-dimensional molecular models, including a large database of solid-state structures, using software from CAChe Scientific/Oxford Molecular.
- Students are encouraged to explore a unique and highly interactive Periodic Table of the Elements.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.