This edition has also been released as:
Summary: A bestseller in its field, A History of Western Society examines the lives of both historical figures and ordinary people, using an engaging, lively writing style to capture and maintain student interest. The authors pay careful attention to political and cultural phenomena, providing a balanced account of Western history as a whole.Edition/Copyright: 8TH 06
In addition to its emphasis on social history, the Eighth Edition retains the text's hallmark pedagogical features and visual ...show more appeal. "Images in Society"--two-page photo essays--compare visual sources from similar periods and teach students to analyze these sources as historical data. In order to promote critical thinking, "Listening to the Past" features present primary source documents and "Questions for Analysis" that reinforce themes in social history. "Individuals in Society" biography features focus on the impact of historical events on an individual or group and explain the actions taken by those people. The text's photo and map programs demonstrate a strong relationship between the narrative and illustrations.
- New! Three new "Images in Society" photo essays promote visual analysis. New coverage includes the Iceman in Chapter 1, Reformation art in Chapter 14, and eighteenth-century London in Chapter 19.
- Expanded! More emphasis has been placed on a broader view of Europe--particularly Islamic regions--and Europe's place in the world. Chapter 9 includes a new section on Moorish Spain; Chapter 11 discusses Arab influences in Sicily; Chapter 17 includes updated coverage of the Ottoman Empire; and Chapter 27 focuses on the effects of World War I on Arab nations.
- Expanded! The Eighth Edition devotes greater attention to women and gender issues. Expanded coverage includes Spartan and Athenian women, Roman women and childrearing, women in the Crusades, women's economic roles during the Renaissance, witch hunts, and British women's role in imperialism.
- Revised! The final chapter has been heavily revised to include more coverage of globalization and the changing face of Europe. New sections have also been added on September 11th and the Iraq War, and the effects of each on international relations.
- Updated! Approximately one-third of the "Listening to the Past" and "Individuals in Society" features have been updated.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2006