This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0072438901, 978-0072890297
ISBN10: 0072438908, 0072890290
Summary: Hole's Human Anatomy and Physiology assumes no prior science knowledge and places emphasis on the fundamental concepts without overwhelming students with too much detail. The text supports main concepts with clinical applications, making them more relevant to students pursuing careers in the allied health field. The learning aids throughout the text, along with the reader-friendly writing style, create a highly-effective learning system for understanding the concepts ...show more of anatomy and physiology. Edition/Copyright: 10TH 04
New to This Edition
- 100% New and revised art program! New art incorporates cutting-edge technology offering vivid depictions of complex processes while maintaining the conceptual base that has established Hole as the most effective "instructional tool" on the market with a unique focus on the fundamentals.
- Visual learners will appreciate the number of illustrations in the Hole text (about 800 total figures versus about 600 in Marieb, Martini and Tortora). Hole's art is focused on the main concepts by using concise labeling methodology that keeps students from getting bogged down with excessive detail. Difficult concepts are broken down into easy-to-understand illustrations.
- Outstanding Pedagogical Program Features:
- Reinforces Mastery- Features like Understanding Words, Chapter Objectives, Review Questions and Critical Thinking Questions assist students in their overall understanding of the material presented.
- InnerConnections- These multipurpose illustrations, found at the ends of selected chapters, conceptually link the highlighted body system to every other system, reinforcing the dynamic interactions of groups of organs. These graphic representations review chapter concepts, make connections, and stress the "big picture" in learning and applying the concepts and facts of anatomy and physiology.
- Reconnect- these symbols enable students to easily refer to material presented in earlier chapters that they will need to make sure they have mastered in order to understand the next concept to be introduced.
- Applied/Clinical Content: Hole's clinical content applies "situational analysis" and "personal relevance" to draw students into the materials and help them learn A&P in the context of situations they may face in their future careers. Hole uses a balancd approach to in-text applications by including new technology or experiments, changes in organ structure and function, and disease-related clinical material.
- Clinical Applications- these practical sidebars address common illnesses, such as migraines, neurological disorders, prostate enlargement, and breast cancer. Often Clinical Applications introduce molecular information, such as "Disease at the Organelle Level" and "Molecular Causes of Cardiovascular Disease."
- Clinical Terms- Lists of related terms often used in clinical situations are at the end of most chapters. These terms, along with their phonetic pronunciations and brief definitions, expand understanding of medical terminology.
- Life-Span Changes- boxed essays included in every system chapter designed to offer new and exciting discoveries about what happens to the human body as it ages, and new treatments in development.
- Climb Online: Connects the text concepts to electronic resources for students. Reviewers have told us that students tend to ignore the online resources available unless they see the direct relevance to topics covered in the course. Hole uses this unique feature to show students exactly where to go on the website to find additional study aids to help them grasp key concepts!
- Hole has been used at hundreds of schools across the country for decades because it is considered to be the premiere "fundamentals" text on the market.
- Core concepts are emphasized and excessive detail is minimized. The narrative is written in a succint, get-to-the-point style. Technical vocabulary is minimized (Hole introduces about 1/2 the number of boldface key terms as Marieb, Martini and Tortora- 1700 new terms versus about 3,500).
- Hole also introduces more basic biology for students with limited background in this area (see Chapter 3- Cells and Chapter 4- Cell Metabolism).
- Summary Material- Hole places emphasis on tables which are consistent with the narrative- clear and succinct, avoiding excessive detail. Hole frequently uses tables to summarize key material. Hole's tables help students struggling with "information overload!"
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 2004