Summary: Offering a refreshing combination of accessibility and intellectual rigor,How to Interpret Literature: Critical Theory for Literary and Cultural Studies,Second Edition, presents an up-to-date, concise, and wide-ranging historicist survey of contemporary thinking in critical theory.
The only book of its kind that thoroughly merges literary studies with cultural studies, this text provides a critical look at the major movements in literary studies since the 1930s, includin ...show moreg those often omitted from other texts. It is also the only up-to-date survey of literary theory that devotes extensive treatment to Queer Theory and Postcolonial and Race Studies.How to Interpret Literature,Second Edition, is ideal as either a stand-alone text or in conjunction with an anthology of primary readings such as Robert Dale Parker'sCritical Theory: A Reader for Literary and CulturalStudies.
* Uses aconversational and engaging tonethat speaks directly to today's students
* Covers avariety of theoretical schools--including New Criticism, Structuralism, Deconstruction, Psychoanalysis, Feminism, and Marxism--weaving connections among chapters to show how these different movements respond to and build on each other
* Offers a richassortment of pedagogical features(charts, text boxes that address frequently asked questions, photos, and a bibliography)
NEW TO THIS EDITION
* Includes references to morerecent literature and contemporary movies(includingAvatarandBrokeback Mountain), diversifying the already broad selection of examples
* Incorporates thelatest developmentsin the field
* Presents''How to Interpret'' sectionsin every chapter
* Includesrevisions and improvementsin every chapter ...show less
19 more offers below.