This edition has also been released as:
Summary: With extensive text updates, an appealing new design, new illustrations and photos, and new end-of-chapter Internet Resources sections, Human Biology: Concepts and Current Issues, Third Edition sparks readers' interest in science and encourages active learning. Writing specifically for the non-majors human biology course, author Michael D. Johnson seeks to make students better consumers of health and science information. Instead of presenting facts to memorize, the i ...show morenspired narrative and magazine-style design give students a truly engaging learning tool. Features Edition/Copyright: 3RD 05
- Declarative "concept-style" headings help students preview and review chapter concepts.
- Try It Yourself boxes engage students in active learning with short exercises that can be performed in minutes to validate facts found in the text.
- Clear, visually appealing illustrations developed expressly for the human biology course are self-contained and carefully crafted for visual learners. Brief recap paragraphs provide summary statements of the take-home lessons of each text section.
- Health Watch boxes provide insights and advice on health and diseases.
- Directions in Science boxes highlight cutting-edge research.
- End-of-chapter material includes Chapter Summaries, Test Yourself objective questions, Concept Review critical thinking questions, Apply What You Know questions, and new Internet Resources.
- The text's CD-ROM, InterActive Physiology® for Human Biology, including a new section on the endocrine system, significantly enriches the teaching environment by providing a wealth of outstanding animations, activities, self-testing, and additional resources. Included with each new copy of the text.
- The Human Biology Place website includes additional interactive concept review and self-testing activities, Webquest activities, news articles, a glossary with pronunciation guide, and a forum presenting additional provocative issues in human biology. Spotlights on Structure and Function highlight examples of the relationship between body systems and their functions.
New To This Edition
- A complete update of the text, including new and revised Try It Yourself, Current Issues, Directions in Science and Health Watch boxes. High-interest content updates include new information on stem cell research, osteoporosis, AIDS statistics, lifestyle factors in Type II diabetes, low-carbohydrate diets, human cloning, genetic testing, and hormone replacement therapy. New discussions on cellular respiration, mechanisms of defense, the nervous system, genetics and inheritance are also included.
- New art and photos, including seven new cellular respiration figures and new, attention-grabbing photographs at the opening of each chapter.
- New ''The Facts'' boxes provide key points from ''Current Issues'' essays to help students remember important details.
- New end-of-chapter Internet Resource listings provide students with reliable reference sites, such as the Mayo Clinic and the World Health Organization, for finding more information on topics that are covered in the chapter.
Cover: Other Format
Publisher: Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Human Biology : Concepts and Current Issues - With CD: