This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0495019510, 978-0534494759
ISBN10: 0495019518, 0534494757
Summary: Instructors will find this Seventh Edition of HUMAN HEREDITY current, clear, and complemented by an amazing array of technology for students and instructors. In addition, the latter chapters (12-19) have been reorganized for greater ease of use. There is also more coverage of hot topics like recombinant DNA technology, genetic engineering, cloning, stem cell research, and HIV. In support of this, "How Would You Vote?" questions appear at the beginning and e ...show morend of each chapter. Chapters begin with an opening story--focusing on a controversial issue. After the story, the "How Would You Vote?" box directs students to the website to voice their opinion. On the website the issue is summarized, an InfoTrac activity with questions involving the issue is provided, and students cast their vote and see tallied results of the voting. Additional student support includes Human GeneticsNOW, a password-protected website integrated with the Seventh Edition that provides students with access to diagnostic Pre-Tests and Post-Tests for each chapter. It automatically generates customized learning plans for students, directing them to text information and ancillaries that help them master specific concepts. Active Figures in the text, indicated by a media icon, have corresponding narrated animations on the Human GeneticsNOW site that are included in the customized Learning Plan along with additional animations and media assets. For instructors, a Multimedia Manager provides the all of the art and photos from the text in PowerPoint form, and, lectures can be further enhanced by using animations and CNN videos on human heredity topics.Edition/Copyright: 7TH 06
- NEW! This title maintains the same scientific accuracy and breadth as previous editions, while incorporating a more conversational, less formal tone. The focus of this edition is on providing the genetics information that students can use in order to deal with the genetic issues they will encounter in their everyday lives.
- NEW! Many of the chapter opening stories are new and more topical--covering issues that will affect students in their future lives--and are tied in with "How Would You Vote?" activities and questions on the Book Companion Website.
- Known for its superior art program, HUMAN HEREDITY boasts more than 200 photos, and 250 line art examples.
- Users will find the same quality end-of-chapter problems that include critical thinking and integration questions, as well as fact recall.
- Cummings explains basic concepts more effectively than many of the competitors. As an example, see Cummings's treatment of transcription, one of the most difficult areas for beginning students. Good summary tables and figures of the processes are provided as well. The discussion is kept simple yet complete.
- This title's clear and flexible organization allow for a variety of course presentations.
- NEW! Students will also receive, along with their text, access to Human GeneticsNOW, a password-protected website integrated with the Seventh Edition that provides access to diagnostic Pre-Tests and Post-Tests for each chapter. It automatically generates customized Learning Plans for each student, directing them to animations, interactive media, and text information to help them master specific concepts.
- NEW! The core organization, Chapters 1-11, of HUMAN HEREDITY remains the same in this Seventh Edition, but Chapters 12-19 have been reorganized to present technology and applications earlier and in a progressive fashion. There are now separate and greatly expanded chapters for biotechnology and genomics.
- NEW! Each chapter contains an average of three Active Figures. These figures, indicated by a media icon, have corresponding narrated animations on the Human GeneticsNOW site. These are also included in the customized Learning Plan along with additional animations and media assets.
- NEW! CNN Today Videos for Genetics are available to all adopters of HUMAN HEREDITY. The videos are short clips (just two to five minutes in length) and all have been shot during the last few years. They provide an easy way to launch lectures.
- NEW! Two new boxes entitled "Genetics in Society" and "Genetic Journeys" offer extra information on special topics and hot issues. Sidebars provide a "Spotlight On" interesting additional information regarding the topic at hand. Introduced in the last edition, these sidebars are located in the margins and have been revised for consistency and clarity.
- NEW! The art program has been refreshed with new annotated "step-by-step" figures for many of the core concepts students struggle with, including meiosis and mitosis, genetic crosses, transcription and translation, and polymerase chain reaction.
- NEW! While slightly shorter than the last edition, this Seventh Edition contains the right amount of detail, carefully described in Michael Cummings clear concise style, as well as an updated design to make it cleaner, more modern, and more inviting.
- NEW! The case studies called "Genetics in Practice" are located both in the book and on the website, along with some relevant web links. Students can answer the Genetics in Practice questions online and submit them to instructors electronically.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2006