Summary: HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT is a comprehensive text for undergraduate and graduate courses that prepare students to train and develop people. As such, the book covers the entire field of HRD (as defined by the American Society for Training and Development's competency study), from orientation and skills training, to career and organizational development. HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT provides a clear understanding of the concepts, processes, and practices that form the b ...show moreasis of success and shows how concepts and theory can and have been put into practice in a variety of organizations. This textbook focuses on the shared role of line management and human resource specialists in HRD and also reflects the current state of the field, blending real-world practices with up-to-date research.Edition/Copyright: 4TH 06
- NEW! Coverage of OD Theory: Discusses how OD theory impacts organizations, as well as the reality of needs assessment are covered in Chapter 4.
- Research and Statistics: On the effectiveness of employee counseling and work site health promotion programs addresses issues such as alcohol and drug abuse, stress, hypertension, and fitness (Chapter 11).
- Team-Based Intervention Coverage: Presents the organizational development issues created by the advent of the learning organization concept have been updated. (Chapter 14).
- NEW! Most Recent ASTD Competency Study: Incorporated into the book, giving the learner the most current standards.
- NEW! Inclusion of Technological Developments: Topics such as e-learning and blended learning are now incorporated, representing the current trends of learning in organizations.
- NEW! Continuous Updates: Available on the text's web site, ensuring the content is the most current available.
- NEW! Exercises: New exercises added to give the learner practice with the theories.
- Expanded Coverage of Strategic Issues in HRD: How HRD efforts should align with the goals and objectives of the organization (Chapter 1), HRD objectives, including two application exercises, is included (Chapter 5), ways to measure the effectiveness or orientation programs (Chapter 8), there is now an expanded focus on coaching as part of an overall performance management process (Chapter 10) and discussion of adult learning theory and how this can be applied to HRD interventions (Chapter 3).
- Employee Behavior: Section reorganized to emphasize the macro- to micro-influences on behavior, and how this relates to the ultimate goals of positively impacting personal and organizational outcomes (Chapter 2).
- Implementing HRD Programs: This chapter includes a description of new training media, including intranet-based training.
- Training: Discussion of changes in federal support for basic skills training, the impact of ISO 9000 standards on quality training, and current issues pertaining to safety training have been updated. (Chapter 9)
Publisher: South-Western Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2006
Other Editions of Human Resource Development: