Summary: This text introduces, defines, and analyzes the movement behind human services theory and application through articles by well-known scholars in the field.
The Third Edition includes new information on substance abuse, teen pregnancy aid, technology, social change, and the empowerment educational model.
"Special Focus" features allow students to concentr...show moreate on timely applications of important concepts such as psychotherapy, substance abuse, and teen pregnancy.
Offers a number of articles by human services experts on issues such as welfare reform, youth in human services, child abuse, community organizing, disabilities, and HIV/AIDS.
Includes chapter introductions and conclusions as well as section introductions to familiarize students with concepts.
New To This Edition
Reorganized into seven parts, students are introduced to the field of human services and the skills needed for dealing with different groups of clients, along with information on law, ethics, and emerging influences and trends in the field.
New chapters offer comprehensive information on the historical roots of human services, interviewing techniques and skills, and the legal foundations of the field.
New chapters expand the importance of technology and social change, and research the effectiveness of the empowerment educational model.
Includes updated key terms, pivotal discussion issues, and suggested readings for all chapters.
Edition/Copyright:3RD 04 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Allyn & Bacon, Inc. Published: 10/17/2003 International: No
View Table of Contents
All chapters feature an "Introduction," "Conclusion," and "References." Each Part opening text features "Key Terms," "Pivotal Discussion Issues," and "Suggested Readings" for the chapters within those sections.
Dedication. Foreword. Preface.
I. HUMAN SERVICES--ORIGINS, DEVELOPMENT, AND BASICS.
1. Basic Concepts and Definitions of Human Services, Paul F. Cimmino. Special Focus Feature--Letter to Paul Cimmino from Harold L. McPheeters. 2. Human Service--The Past as Prelude, Joel DiAmbra. 3. Human Services and Welfare Reform. The New American Contract with the Poor, Frances Fox Piven. Welfare Reform's Impact on People--Case Examples: Implications for Human Services, Michael Seliger. 4. Empowerment--Theory and Practice. Empowerment: Toward a New Definition of Self-Help, Audrey Cohen. How Alumni Perceive and Use the Constructive Action, Shirley Conyard
II. HUMAN SERVICE PROFESSIONALS--SKILLS, VALUES, AND STANDARDS.
Special Focus Feature--Welcome to Human Services: A Journey to Helping Others, Margaret French. 5. Human Services: Necessary Skills and Values, Lorence A. Long and Maureen Doyle. 6. Techniques and Skills in Interviewing, John Hancock. Special Focus Feature--Short Term Psychotherapy, Lynne Schmelter-Davis. 7. Helping Services for Groups, Barbara Somerville. Special Focus Feature--Conflict Resolution: An Example of Using Skills in Working with Groups, Janet Hagen. 8. National Community Support Skill Standards Project: Implications for Human Service Education, Mary DiGiovanni, Franklyn M. Rother and David C. Maloney. Special Focus Feature--The Human Services Worker: A Generic Job Description.
III. HUMAN SERVICES CLIENTS: FAMILY AND CHILDREN.
9. Domestic Violence, Battered Women, and Dimensions of the Problem, Maria Munoz-Kantha. 10. The Child Welfare Delivery System in the United States, David S. Leiderman, Madelyn De Woody, and Megan Sylvester. 11. Child Maltreatment and Abuse: The Problem and Human Services, James Edell Lopez. 12. Youth and Human Services, Walter de Oliveira and Christopher R. Edginion. Special Focus Feature--Pregnant Productions: A Vygotsky-Inspired Approach to Teens and Teen Pregnancy, Rafael Mendez.
IV. HUMAN SERVICES CLIENTS--SPECIAL POPULATIONS.
13. HIV-AIDS--New Directions, New Hopes, Wm. Lynn McKinney. 14. Human Services for Homeless People, Lorence A. Long. 15. Helping for Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Marcel A. Duclos and Marianne Gfoerer. Special Focus Feature--A Social Norms Approach: Reduction of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Among College Students, Franklyn M. Rother. 16. Helping Services for Older Adults, Kathleen J. Niccum. 17. Human Services and Criminal Justice: People and the System, David Whelan. Special Focus Feature--Architecture for Justice Direct Supervision Management, Anthony W. Pellicane.
V. CHANGING THE SYSTEM(s) IN HUMAN SERVICES.
18. Policy, Politics, and Human Services, Harold M. McPheeters. 19. Community Organizing as a Human Service, Lee Stuart. 20. Human Services in the Mental Health Arena: From Institution to Community, Joseph Mehr. 21. Americans with Disabilities: Advocacy, Law, and Human Services, Christine L Shane.
VI. LAW, ETHICS, AND PROFESSIONAL ISSUES.
22. Legal Foundations in Human Services: Considerations for Clients and Workers, Peter Clark, Ann Ackle, and David C. Maloney. 23. Law, Ethics, and the Human Service Worker, Naydean Blair. 24. Human Services as a Career: Personal Survival and Professional Growth, Miriam Clubok. 25. Burnout: Avoiding the Trap, H. Frederick Sweitzer. Special Focus Feature--Ethical Standards of Human Service Professionals, N.O.H.S.E.
VII. EMERGING INFLUENCES AND TRENDS.
26. Trends and Challenges of Cultural Diversity, R. Donna Petrie. 27. Technology and Human Services, Stan Rosenzweig. 28. Technology and Sociality: Current Challenges for the Human Service Generalist, Eugene M. De Robertis and Robert A. Saldarini. Special Focus Feature: Service Learning Experience That Transforms Students' Lives, Linda Mass. 29. Research Models in Human Services, Rod Underwood and Michael Lee. About the Editors. About the Authors. Index.
Barnes & Noble.com Various Shipping Locations, USA
Brand new, ships from the closest shipping location to your shipping address!
$90.00 +$3.99 s/h
Textbookcenter.com Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day! UPS(AK/HI Priority Mail)/ NEW book
$102.87 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Westminster, MD
Brand New, Perfect Condition, Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
$106.02 +$3.99 s/h
bargainforce Naperville, IL
No comments from the seller
$109.59 +$3.99 s/h
PaperbackshopUS Secaucus, NJ
New Book. Shipped from US within 4 to 14 business days. Established seller since 2000
$110.61 +$3.99 s/h
indoo Avenel, NJ
$120.15 +$3.99 s/h
TextbookBarn Agoura Hills, CA
0205327702 Premium Publisher Direct Books are Like New or Brand New books direct from the publisher sometimes at a discount. Multiple copies are usually available. These books are not available for ...show moreexpedited shipping and may take up to 14 business days to receive. ...show less
$123.75 +$3.99 s/h
DiscountLawBooksInc. Lawrence, KS
0205327702 BRAND NEW W/FAST SHIPPING! This item is: Human Services: Contemporary Issues and Trends, 3rd Ed., 2004, by Harris, Howard S.^Maloney, David C.^Rother, Franklyn M.; FORMAT: Hardcover; ISBN: ...show more9780205327706. Choose Expedited for fastest shipping! Our 98%+ rating proves our commitment! We cannot ship to PO Boxes/APO address. To avoid ordering the wrong item, please check your item's ISBN number! ...show less
$126.16 +$3.99 s/h
Textbook Barn Tarzana, CA
PAPERBACK New 0205327702 Premium Publisher Direct Books are Like New or Brand New books direct from the publisher sometimes at a discount. Multiple copies are usually available. These books are not...show more available for expedited shipping and may take up to 14 business days to receive. ...show less
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.