Summary: Imaginative Writing is an introductory creative writing text covering the four genres--essay, fiction, poetry, and drama--written by best-selling author Janet Burroway. Edition/Copyright: 03
Unlike most texts, Imaginative Writing discusses craft before genre. Each of the first five chapters looks at a specific element of craft--Image, Voice, Character, Setting, and Story--from a perspective that crosses all genres. Chapter 6 explores development and revision and serves as a bri ...show moredge between the craft and genre chapters. The last four chapters examine the genres--Essay, Fiction, Poetry, and Drama. The book's organization allows students to experiment with creative techniques before deciding on a preferred form. Unique "Try-This" exercises help students develop writing skills. The emphasis of Imaginative Writing is on serious play.
Imaginative Writing is part of the Penguin Academics Series. The Penguin Academic Series, in the tradition of Penguin Publishers, offers highly respected, highly affordable, trade-format books by pre-eminent scholars.
- Unique organization. The first half of the book addresses elements of craft (Image, Voice, Character, Setting, and Story) while the second half explores genres (Essay, Fiction, Poetry, and Drama). This format helps students understand the various creative techniques shared by all forms of imaginative writing before they concentrate on individual genres.
- "Try-This" Exercises appear throughout each chapter. Provocative and fun, the exercises help students develop the specific writing skills discussed within the text.
- Is an anthology of more than 100 complete readings in the four genres.
- Photographs and compelling images open each chapter and include warm-up activities.
- Appendix A: Collaborative Exercises emphasize the sensory foundations of imaginative writing. Drawn from theater, drawing, therapy, meditation, music and dance, not all of the exercises involve writing, but each can serve as an effective pre-writing prompt.
- Appendix B: Formats describes standard formats for submitting finished work in each of the four genres.
- Appendix C: Prosody outlines the basic elements of prosody (the study of versification), including the major units of sound and meter, the principles of rhyme, and common stanza patterns.
- highly affordable, trade-format books by pre-eminent scholars.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Other Editions of Imaginative Writing : The Elements of Craft: