Summary: Relationship to the other Townsend Press vocabulary books: The intermediate text in the Townsend Press vocabulary series. It is followed by Advancing Vocabulary Skills, a more advanced text. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 02
The extraordinary success of the TP vocabulary books is no accident. Instructors who have used the books in ever-increasing numbers over the past five years have discovered that these reasonably-priced vocabulary books really work. By raising weak vocabulary levels, th ...show moree sequence of books helps students improve their reading and writing skills, do far better on standardized reading tests, and meet the demands of college work.
Research studies show that students learn words best by seeing them repeatedly in different contexts, not through rote memorization. The TP vocabulary books present each word in eight to ten different contexts. Every encounter increases the chance that a word will become part of a student's permanent word bank.
Like the two other main books in the series, Improving Vocabulary Skills teaches 260 essential words and 40 word parts.
Features of the Third Edition :
- Word analogies are now part of the books. Practice is provided in a format widely used in standardized tests.
- A new section, "Topics for Discussion and Writing," will enable teachers to give students practice in speaking and writing the words they have just studied.
- The unit tests have been extensively revised, with a new multiple-choice section made up of high-interest items.
- Many practice materials in the books have been revised, updated, or replaced -- ensuring that each practice item works as clearly and effectively as possible.
- Other Features of the TP Vocabulary Series:
- AN INTENSIVE WORDS-IN-CONTEXT APPROACH. Studies show that students learn words best by seeing them repeatedly in different contexts, not through rote memorization. The books present each word in a number of contexts. Every encounter increases the chance that a word will become part of a student's permanent word bank.
- ABUNDANT PRACTICE. In addition to the extensive practice in each chapter, there are unit tests and a crossword puzzle review. Moreover, most chapters repeat words from earlier chapters, allowing for even more reinforcement. And there are added tests in the Test Bank and the computer disks that come with each book. All this practice means that students learn in the best possible way: by working closely and repeatedly with each word.
- APPEALING CONTENT. Dull practice materials work against learning. The lively content and clear and friendly style of the books make learning easier for students.
- EMPHASIS ON KEY WORDS. In creating the six-book series, a computer was used to help consolidate a wide number of word frequency lists. The result is a core of essential words, sequenced in order of difficulty, that are most helpful for students to know.
- REALISTIC PRICING. The books offer the highest possible quality at the lowest possible prices: all of the books sell for no more than $8.90 net. The modest prices mean that the books can serve as inexpensive supplements for any reading or writing course.
- OUTSTANDING SUPPLEMENTS. Free supplements to adopters include a vocabulary placement test, an Instructor's Edition, a combined Instructor's Manual and Test Bank, and a CD-ROM with software that teaches as well as tests.
Publisher: Townsend Press
Other Editions of Improving Vocabulary Skills: