Summary: For senior/graduate-level courses in Industrial Safety, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Technology, and Operations Management. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
Unique in approach, this text combines--in one volume--an exploration of the time-tested concepts and techniques of safety and health management, a modern perspective on compliance with mandatory standards for workplace safety and health, and a variety of solved problems, case studies, and exercises. It provides reasons, explana ...show moretions, and illustrations of the hazard mechanisms that form the underlying basis for the volumes of detailed standards for workplace safety and health.
- NEW--CD--Includes NCM Database and new OSHA forms. Free with text.
- Shows revealing inspection statistics on individual OSHA standards using searchable database, not currently available on OSHA's or any other website.
- NEW--Added content throughout--Includes all new record keeping forms and procedures; and the effects of 9/11 and other acts of terrorism on OSHA response.
- Keeps students up-to-date in the field and abreast of current topics.
- NEW--Entirely new chapter on Ergonomics.
- Provides students with information on a very timely and controversial subject.
- Numerous case studies.
- Demonstrates the rationale behind the standards with example scenarios.
- Chapter-opening pie charts.
- Shows the percent of OSHA citations addressed by the topics covered in that particular chapter.
- Comprehensive, chapter-end exercises--Over 600 in total.
- Gives students practice and familiarity with the principles covered.
- Relevant content.
- Holds students' interest with discussions of real-life problems rather than academic theory.
- Detailed enforcement statistics.
- Supplies students with all the technical data and specific information available--at a level of detail not usually found--on government standards and the system of enforcement needed to deal with the most important problems--e.g., welding fumes and gases, press safeguarding, etc.
- Discusses and draws from the new and readily available sources of information now accessible to the Safety and Health Manager-- e.g., the OSHA CD-ROM computer database, the Internet, in addition to conventional library resources.
- Empowers students to readily find their own answers to questions on safety and health management.
- Provides "Research Exercises" which require students to go beyond the text for answers -- to the Internet, the OSHA CD-ROM, or comprehensive conventional libraries.
- Extensive use of diagrams and figures.
- Clearly illustrates concepts that are confusing as detailed wording of federal standards--e.g., alternative guarding methods for punch presses.
- Easy-to-read, informal writing style--Incorporates humorous anecdotes.
- Enlivens what is typically considered dull reading, and enlightens students as to the history of controversial issues such as OSHA inspections, remarkable oversights, and the evolution of standards.
- Gives students easy access to tables of information commonly used in professional practice.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Industrial Safety and Health Management / With CD: