Summary: Julia Wood, a leading scholar in the field of communication, brings us a new edition of the extremely popular COMMUNICATION MOSAICS: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE FIELD OF COMMUNICATION. The new edition continues with the holistic approach to the field of communication by first explaining the basic processes central to all communication contexts (e.g. listening, perceiving, using verbal and nonverbal communication, establishing climate), and then applying these processes to ...show more various contexts (interpersonal, small group, public, organizational, intercultural, and mass communication). Through reviewer and student-praised "Student Voices" features, seamless and thoughtful integration of diversity, skill-building pedagogy and real-life examples, students are exposed to the vast world of communication and the tools needed to become effective communicators. This book will provide readers with a clear understanding of the fundamental skills and processes that are a part of the broad array of communication encounters in personal, professional and public life in the 21st century.Edition/Copyright: 13TH 06
- NEW! New four-color design and increased number of photos makes the text more visually appealing.
- Technology is emphasized throughout the text to illustrate how technology is an aspect of nearly every part of our lives. There are discussions on the impact and role of technology in each chapter as well as a variety of technology activities that get students effectively working with these technologies.
- Author's first-person narrative writing style, combined with the unique "Student Voice" features, gives the text a personal tone that has been consistently praised by reviewers and students.
- Student learning is expanded into a multimedia environment with the 'Communication Mosaics' CD-ROM. This CD-ROM provides one stop access to all of the technology components, including, the Communication in our Lives website, Experiencing Communication Mosaics multimedia scenarios, Speech Interactive for Communication Mosaics and InfoTrac College Edition. Integrated throughout the chapter and expanded upon at the end-of-chapters, integrated icons direct students to numerous digital activities that reinforce and enrich the concepts presented.
- Unique "Experiencing Communication Case Study" features at the end of each chapter continue the conversation of the chapter by allowing students to see how the theories and principles they have read about show up in everyday life. Students can further examine these cases via interactive video and discussions on the 'Communication Mosaics' CD-ROM.
- Extensive teaching and learning package co-authored by Julia Wood.
- NEW! Two introductory chapters open the text. "A First Look at Communication" offers a general introduction to the field emphasizing its breadth and possible careers--including PR, journalism, and advertising. Chapter 2, "The Field of Communication in Historical and Contemporary Perspectives," provides an overview of the field's history, research methods and analytical models.
- NEW! Now integrated with Speech Builder Express, a dynamic web-based speech outlining and organizing tool. This online speech tutor will guide your students through the entire speech development process, from choosing a topic, selecting an organization pattern, incorporating visual aids and strategies for effective delivery and much more. Help your students deliver powerful speeches with this exclusive tool!
- NEW! Thoroughly revised and expanded coverage of technology can be found in Chapter 15 and includes a new "computer controversies" section.
- NEW! Increased coverage of mass communication theories, including, "direct effects" theory.
- NEW! Increased and more explicitly labeled coverage of intercultural communication can be found in Chapter 8.
- NEW! New CNN clips that illustrate chapter concepts can be found in chapters 1, 2 and 15. After students view these clips they can analyze the scenarios based upon the chapter concepts.
- Coverage of social and cultural diversity is woven into each chapter of the text to better reflect our contemporary society and to help students appreciate social diversity as a fact of cultural life that has profound implications on how we communicate with others.
- Communication in Our Lives highlights scholar-developed communication theories, research, and skills that allow students to read the communication theory and then apply it to their own lives through such features as "For Your Information" and "Sharpen Your Skills" boxes that include self tests and brief activities.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 2006
Other Editions of Integrated Principles of Zoology - With Lab. Studies: