Summary: This interactive CD-ROM brings the counseling process to life and helps students understand the advantages of developing an integrative style. Students observe Gerald Corey as he works with one client, Ruth, using various theoretical models and techniques. Introductory lectures and process commentary explain what viewers will see and why a particular approach was used. Using this integrated learning package, students can first watch a trained, experienced counselor i ...show moren action in a session and can then explore key points through thought-provoking questions (reflection and response questions), exercises, and group activities. Guidelines assist viewers in considering key concepts and techniques they can use in forming their own personal therapeutic styles. All answers can be emailed or saved. Web links and InfoTrac College Edition keywords augment the learning process further.Edition/Copyright: 05
- Video sessions, each featuring a single client, Ruth, help viewers to conceptualize what integrative counseling is, while giving them a glimpse of what to expect in the counseling process.
- "The Expert Theory Case Analysis Web Site," a new counseling theories Internet resource, provides students with the opportunity to practice applying various approaches to a range of simulated cases in an interactive format. Students can conceptualize three different cases from a range of different theoretical approaches, listen to segments of a clinical interview, link to different theory Web sites, and participate in a theories/case-conceptualization discussion forum.
- Thirteen Video sessions cover the entire process, from the very beginning counseling session to the terminating session.
- In each session Dr. Corey introduces a theme by way of a lecturette on aspects of the integrative approach. This is followed by a counseling session with Ruth, and a discussion by Dr. Corey on the approaches he used and what he was trying to accomplish with Ruth.
- Six guest clinicians give brief lectures on the topics of understanding and working therapeutically with resistance, transference, countertransference, and diversity issues in counseling.
- Difficult issues such as informed consent, resistance, termination, and issues that involve misunderstanding due to ethnic, gender, and religious differences are covered.
- Ruth is the only client chronicled in the video segments, allowing viewers to see the progress, as well as the challenges, encountered in the counseling process.
- Lectures that introduce theories and important concepts are included in the video segments.
- Process commentary at the end of each session helps viewers understand why Dr. Corey used the approaches he did and to understand what was happening in the counseling session.
- Each chapter in CASE APPROACH TO COUNSELING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY, Sixth Edition refers students to appropriate segments in the Integrative Counseling CD-ROM.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.