Summary: Intermediate Algebra: Graphs and Functions, Third Edition, designed specifically for courses that incorporate early graphing and emphasize problem solving and real-life applications. The use of calculators is integrated throughout the text, but remains optional. The authors' proven approach combines proven pedagogy, innovative features, high-interest applications, and a wide range of technology options that add flexibility for instructors and enhance the learning pro ...show morecess. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 03
- Selected examples are presented with side-by-side algebraic, graphical, and numerical solutions , a format that shows students how different solution methods can be used to arrive at the same answer.
- Each chapter now opens with The Big Picture, an objective based overview of the chapter concepts and Key Terms, a list of the mathematical vocabulary integral to the learning objectives.
- Every section opens with "What you should learn" objectives to focus students on the main concepts, and "Why you should learn it," highlighting a relevant, real-life application to motivate student learning.
- Collaborate! appearing at the end of selected sections, gives students the opportunity to think, talk, and write about mathematics in a group environment. These activities can be assigned for small group work or for whole class discussions.
- Looking Further, at the end of each section exercise set, expands upon mathematical concepts presented in the section. These multi-part explorations and applications enhance the development of critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Exercise Sets are grouped into four categories: Developing Skills, Solving Problems (applications), Explaining Concepts (critical thinking), Ongoing Review (review of skills and concepts from previous sections and chapters).
- Review Exercises at the end of every chapter have been grouped into two categories: Reviewing Skills, which are correlated by section and objective, and Solving Problems.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt