Summary: Intermediate Algebra: Graphs and Functions, Third Edition, designed specifically for courses that incorporate early graphing and emphasize problem solving and real-life applications. The use of calculators is integrated throughout the text, but remains optional. The authors' proven approach combines proven pedagogy, innovative features, high-interest applications, and a wide range of technology options that add flexibility for instructors and enhance the learning pro ...show morecess.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 03
- New! Selected examples are presented with side-by-side algebraic, graphical, and numerical solutions to selected examples, a multiple-approach format that shows students how different solution methods can be used to arrive at the same answer.
- New! Each chapter now opens with The Big Picture, an objective based overview of the chapter concepts and Key Terms, a list of the mathematical vocabulary integral to the learning objectives.
- New! Every section opens with "What you should learn" objectives to focus students on the main concepts, and "Why you should learn it," highlighting a relevant, real-life application to motivate student learning.
- New! Chapter Summary: Key Concepts, concise section-by-section chapter summaries, highlight the main concepts of the chapter, providing students with a convenient study tool at the end of the chapter.
- New! Collaborate! appearing at the end of selected sections, gives students the opportunity to think, talk, and write about mathematics in a group environment. These activities can be assigned for small group work or for whole class discussions.
- New! Looking Further, at the end of each section exercise set, expands upon mathematical concepts presented in the section. These multi-part explorations and applications enhance the development of critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Revised! Exercise Sets, significantly updated and reorganized, are grouped into four categories: Developing Skills, Solving Problems (applications), Explaining Concepts (critical thinking), Ongoing Review (review of skills and concepts from previous sections and chapters). Exercise sets offer an abundant variety of computational, applied, and conceptual problems to accommodate diverse teaching and learning styles.
- Revised! Review Exercises at the end of every chapter have been grouped into two categories: Reviewing Skills, which are correlated by section and objective, and Solving Problems.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2003