Summary: Interpersonal Communication offers a blend of theory and skills that students can use to become "other-oriented"--mindfully considerate of the thoughts, needs, and values of others. Edition/Copyright: 4TH 05
Fueled by the authors' conviction that "skills inform principles; principles inform skills,"Interpersonal Communication: Relating to Others maintains a careful balance between theoretical and skills-oriented material. This book integrates a key emphasis on d ...show moreiversity with examples drawn from a variety of age and ethnic groups and special boxes that focus on gender and diversity issues. A chapter on intercultural communication supplements this integral material by relating it to the "other-oriented" approach.
- A skills/principles blend helps students to become competent and knowledgeable communicators and to make informed choices about their communication with others.
- "Building Your Skills" exercises promote immediate interactive learning of concepts and skills.
- Research conclusions about interpersonal communication are integrated in every chapter and discuss recent research observations from communication scholars.
- Strong coverage of diversity and sensitivity to others are featured in "Understanding Diversity" boxes, a chapter on diversity (Ch. 4), and discussions of diverse issues integrated throughout the text.
- An emphasis on relationships links communication skills with principles that explain and predict how relationships begin, develop, and sometimes decline.
- A lively and interesting writing style makes use of stories, quotations, cartoons, illustrations, media, poetry, and art to support teaching and to extend information presented in the book.
- Helpful pedagogical features include chapter objectives; margin definitions; Recaps (section summaries); chapter summaries; end-of-chapter questions focusing on comprehension, critical thinking, and ethics; end-of-chapter activities; journal activities, and weblinks.
- Discussion throughout the text on the role the Internet plays in building and maintaining interpersonal relationships, a section in Ch. 12 called "Interpersonal Communication on the Internet," and lists of helpful Weblinks all build on the book's message that technology influences interpersonal relationships.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Interpersonal Communication : Relating to Others -Text Only: