Summary: Fueled by the authors' conviction that "skills inform principles; principles inform skills," Interpersonal Communication: Relating to Others maintains a careful balance between theoretical and skills-oriented material. This book integrates a key emphasis on diversity with examples drawn from a variety of age and ethnic groups and special boxes that focus on gender and diversity issues. A chapter on intercultural communication supplements this integral material ...show more by relating it to the "other-oriented" approach.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 08
- A skills/principles blend helps students to become competent and knowledgeable communicators and to make informed choices about their communication with others:
- "Building Your Skills" exercises promote immediate interactive learning of concepts and skills.
- Research conclusions about interpersonal communication are integrated in every chapter and discuss recent research observations from communication scholars.
- Strong coverage of diversity and sensitivity to others are featured in "Understanding Diversity" boxes, a chapter on diversity (Ch. 4), and discussions of diverse issues integrated throughout the text.
- An emphasis on relationships links communication skills with principles that explain and predict how relationships begin, develop, and sometimes decline.
- A lively and interesting writing style makes use of stories, quotations, cartoons, illustrations, media, poetry, and art to support teaching and to extend information presented in the book.
- Helpful pedagogical features include chapter objectives; margin definitions; Recaps (section summaries); chapter summaries; end-of-chapter questions focusing on comprehension, critical thinking, and ethics; end-of-chapter activities; journal activities, and weblinks.
- Discussion throughout the text on the role the Internet plays in building and maintaining interpersonal relationships, a section in Ch. 12 called "Interpersonal Communication on the Internet," and lists of helpful Weblinks all build on the book's message that technology influences interpersonal relationships.
- The text's other-oriented approach, featured in "Becoming Other-Oriented" boxes and integrated discussions throughout-highlighted with "Other-Oriented" icons-emphasizes the importance of focusing on others in order to understand and improve interpersonal communication.
- "Applying Theory and Research" boxes help students make the connection between a theory or research article and how that theory/research relates to them.
- Helpful Weblinks, listed at the end of each chapter, point students to related information on the Internet.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2008
Other Editions of Interpersonal Communication : Relating to Others: