This edition has also been released as:
Summary: The most widely used medical ethics textbook today, Munson's INTERVENTION AND REFLECTION is the standard for this course. A collection of the most up to date and influential positions within the most pressing contemporary debates in medical ethics, this book provides students with the most comprehensive and authoritative introduction to the subject as well as a wide variety of cases to study. The combination of Munson's astute editing (which gives priority to non-tec ...show morehnical readings), a wide variety of cases provided alongside the social contexts in which they arise, and insightful commentaries makes this book accessible and provocative to students with no formal philosophical training as well as to students with more formal experience in philosophy and/or the medical professions. Edition/Copyright: 7TH 04
New to the Edition
- Updated presentations include such currently controversial issues as embryonic stem cells, disparities in the health care of women and minorities, cloning, the human genome project, testing AIDS drugs in Africa, and late-term (partial birth) abortion.
- This version is briefer, streamlining the presentation to facilitate greater pedagogical flexibility.
- The introduction to moral theory that previously served as the book's introduction has now been moved to the back of the book in order to achieve greater accessibility and pedagogical flexibility. This powerful final section presents the foundations of bioethics, focusing on how ethical theories, moral principles, and commitments to virtues and to feminist values can be brought to bear specifically on decisions in medical ethics.
- Recent cases--such as the death of Jesse Gelisinger in a gene therapy trial--and decision scenarios that are found throughout the text educate students on the latest challenges facing physicians, researchers, and society.
- Updated statistics and federal policies in every chapter provide students with the latest public policy information.
- An expanded guide to additional resources--in print and online--provides students with a wealth of direction for research.
- Social Contexts, Case Presentations, Chapter Introductions, and Decision Scenarios engage students in a range of deliberations that extends from the very particular to the more general.
- The wealth of readings in INTERVENTION AND REFLECTION enables instructors to chart a variety of paths through the material.
- Many notes, references, and guides to additional resources (both in print and online) provide students with a wealth of direction for extended research.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of Intervention and Reflection : Basic Issues in Medical Ethics: