Summary: Introduction to Biotechnology is the first biotechnology textbook geared specifically for the diverse scientific backgrounds of undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career in biotechnology.Edition/Copyright: 04
With its balanced coverage of basic molecular biology, historical developments, and contemporary applications, the text provides students with the tools and basic knowledge for success in the biotech industry. Special sections on ethical issues in biotechnolog ...show morey, career profiles, and research "tools" are also highlighted in the book.
William Thieman chairs one of the leading biotech programs in California, and co-author Michael A. Palladino is a molecular biologist with considerable expertise in directing undergraduate student research in recombinant DNA technology.
Appropriate for both two- and four-year schools, Introduction to Biotechnology is the perfect biotechnology textbook for undergraduates interested in the biotechnology field.
- The text offers complete coverage of cutting-edge techniques and concepts including Bioinformatics, Proteomics, and Genomics, as well as detailed information on agricultural, medical, forensic, and regulatory issues that impact the biotechnology industry.
- Complete chapters are dedicated to Ethics in Biotechnology, Bioremediation, Aquatic Biotechnology, and Regulatory Biotechnology.
- In addition, ethics is incorporated throughout the text.
- Career Profile Boxes in each chapter introduce students to different career paths in the biotechnology industry and provide detailed information on job functions, salaries, and guidance for preparing to enter the workforce.
- You Decide Boxes in each chapter stimulate ethical discussion by giving students questions and information relating to the social and ethical implications of biotechnology and regulations.
- Tools of the Trade Boxes provide details on modern techniques and methods related to each chapter's content and the biotech industry.
- Q & A Boxes at the end of chapter Questions and Activities present students with critical thinking questions and assignments that encourage them to apply what they've learned.
- Abundant illustrations, instructional diagrams, and flow charts present modern images, step-by-step explanations of complex processes, and provide comprehensive coverage to support chapter content.
- Each chapter features learning objectives, Questions and Activities, weblinks and resources, and references to assist student learning.
- Keeping Current: Web Links at the end of each chapter take students to some of the best sites in biotechnology and related disciplines.
- Companion Website for students and instructors offers downloadable art from the text, flashcards, a glossary, chapter reviews, and additional web resources to keep readers informed of the latest developments in the field.
- Instructors will receive a poster that links the field to over 100 types of jobs in biotechnology.
Publisher: Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Introduction to Biotechnology: