This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0534401771, 978-0534401894
ISBN10: 0534401775, 0534401899
Summary: Over the years Bettelheim, Introduction to General, Organic, and Biochemistry has become the most respected and best-selling General, Organic and Biochemistry (GOB) textbook on the market. Known for the successful way it meets the needs of students who take this course--from re-entry students to those heading directly into careers in the allied health fields--the book is acclaimed for the way it provides students a solid chemistry foundation that will serve them well ...show more long after they leave the course. In this edition, the authors continue the hallmarks that have made their book a classic in the field: a pedagogically rich learning framework; a wide variety of medical and biological applications; a visually dynamic art program, innovative "Chemical Connections" essays that focus on current issues in general organic, and biochemistry; and exceptionally strong and varied end-of-chapter problems. At the same time, they have extended their student focus by providing a greatly expanded interactive CD-ROM, as well as a new "Career Corner" portion on the Book Companion Web site designed to help students make the connections between the chemistry they are learning today and their future careers. The Seventh Edition gives students a solid foundation of the chemistry of the human body, consistently demonstrating that a strong background in molecular structure and properties leads to better understanding of biochemical interactions. The strength of this book is its readability, its application to normal human biochemical pathways, as well as discussing biochemical conditions present in diseases. The authors provide a unified view of chemistry, frequently using organic and biological substances to illustrate principles of general chemistry.Edition/Copyright: 7TH 04
- NEW! The molecular model art program has been significantly updated to visually reinforce students' conceptual understanding, especially relating to computer-generated three-dimensional models and Spartan electron density maps.
- Long noted for its unique learning framework, the text contains the following pedagogical elements: an engaging chapter introductions, a running glossary, end-of-chapter summaries, end-of-chapter summaries of key reactions, and a wealth of end-of-chapter problems including paired, conceptual and applied problems. An icon indicates applied problems.
- The text features a great amount of molecular artwork to visually reinforce student understanding including Chem3D molecular models, Spartan molecular models, and more!
- The text features both a running and a separate glossary. Each defined term is accompanied by section numbers that guide students to corresponding text material.
- Numerous medical and chemical applications (as well as those related to the environment) are featured throughout the text. Many of these applications are featured in Chemical Connections boxes.
- The text features plentiful in-chapter examples with worked-out solutions and paired problems, providing students plenty of opportunity to practice their problem solving skills.
- Answers to all in-text problems and to odd-numbered end-of-chapter problems are provided at the end of the book.
- NEW! To allow easy understanding of the latest developments in fast moving fields, four chapters in the biochemistry part: (a) Nucleotides, Nucleic Acids and Heredity (b) Gene Expressions and Protein Synthesis (c) Chemical Communication: Neurotransmitters and Hormones and (d) Immunochemistry have been extensively reorganized and updated.
- NEW! The design of Chemical Connections essays is improved, and more boxes focusing on current issues in general, organic, and particularly, biochemistry.
- NEW! End-of-chapter problem sets are organized by topic and are now paired so students have two opportunities to solve the problem.
- NEW! This Seventh Edition features new sets of applied problems (marked with an icon) and more challenging problems marked by a blue problem number.
- NEW! The general and organic chapters were condensed by about 5 percent to make a swifter transition to the biochemistry chapters.
- NEW! Each new text is accompanied by the INTERACTIVE GENERAL, ORGANIC and BIOCHEMISTRY CD-ROM featuring interactive tutorials in general chemistry, 3-dimensional organic molecules, and biochemistry animations. Prompted by an icon, students are encouraged to extend their learning into a multimedia, multi-dimensional environment.
- NEW! The CD-ROM now features Intelligent Tutors--interactive problem solving tutors that ask questions and provide guiding feedback to help students solve the problems (without giving away the answers); Interactive Guided Simulations of chemical systems accompanied by questions that lead students through an exploration of the simulation; and Media-based Exercises that ask students to critically analyze visual media.
- NEW! New "Career Corner" marginal icons direct students to Web-based resources for those seeking careers in allied health related fields.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Other Editions of Introduction to General, Organic, and Biochemistry / With CD: