Summary: In this laboratory textbook for students of organic chemistry, experiments are designed to utilize standard-scale ("macroscale") glassware and equipment but with smaller amounts of chemicals and reagents. The textbook features a large number of traditional organic reactions and syntheses, as well as the isolation of natural products and experiments with a biological or health science focus. The organization of the text is based on essays and topics of curre ...show morent interest. There are six introductory technique-based experiments and eleven project-based experiments. In addition, there is a section of green chemistry experiments. The book contains a comprehensive treatment of laboratory techniques, including small-scale and some microscale methods.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 05
- NEW! New, techniques-based experiments are used as the first, introductory experiments to appeal to those situations where instructors do not want to jump immediately into advanced material. New technique experiments include: Experiment 1, "Solubility;" Experiment 2, "Crystallization;" Experiment 3, "Extraction;" Experiment 4, "Chromatography;" Experiment 5, "Simple and Fractional Distillation;" and, Experiment 6, "Infrared Spectroscopy and Boiling Point Determination." Several of these experiments conclude with "Critical Thinking Applications"--short exercises in which students must provide experimentally determined solutions to problems related to the techniques and the underlying principles.
- Experiments are well-written, comprehensive, and pre-tested.
- Infrared, proton NMR, and 13C NMR spectroscopy is incorporated into many experiments. Some experiments also have an option to use gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.
- For discovery-based learning needs, open-ended experiments are provided to allow students to "write" their own experimental procedures and make their own discoveries.
- Molecular modeling experiments give students an opportunity to experience the power of molecular modeling software.
- "Caution" boxes emphasize careful handling of chemicals and the importance of safety in the laboratory.
- Clear and accurate diagrams of laboratory set-ups increase students' confidence in setting up a lab.
- End-of-chapter problems test students' mastery of the material.
- NEW! The Second Edition features a new essay, "Green Chemistry," and two new green chemistry experiments: Experiment 31, "Chiral Reduction of Ethyl Acetoacetate: Optical Purity Determination;" and, Experiment 32, "Nitration of Aromatic Compounds Using a Recyclable Catalyst."
- NEW! The authors have included a new section of project-based experiments that features: Experiment 57, "A Separation and Purification Scheme;" Experiment 60, "The Analysis of Antihistamine Drugs by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry;" Experiment 62, "The Aldehyde Enigma;" Experiment 63, "Synthesis of Substituted Chalcones: A Guided-Inquiry Experience;" and, Experiment 66, "An Oxidation Puzzle." In all of these experiments, students must either solve a significant problem or they must generate all or part of a procedure. Intended to promote critical thinking, these experiments not only challenge students, but also give them a feeling of what it is like to "do" research in chemistry.
- NEW! New exercises involving molecular modeling and computational chemistry have been added to several experiments.
- NEW! The Second Edition features a reorganization of the technique chapters to more closely match the order in MICROSCALE AND MACROSCALE TECHNIQUES IN THE ORGANIC LABORATORY.
- NEW! This new edition also includes three new technique chapters: Technique 4," How to Find Data for Compounds: Handbooks and Catalogues;" Technique 10, " Solubility;" and, Technique 28, "Mass Spectrometry." In addition, several technique chapters have been extensively revised and update.
- The textbook contains a variety of small-scale experiments using standard-scale (macroscale) glassware and equipment.
- Essays and examples on contemporary topics are provided to spark student interest and engage them in the learning process.
- Green chemistry has been introduced as it's become an important topic to share with students.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Introduction to Organic Laboratory Techniques : A Small Scale Approach: