Summary: The sixth edition organic and biochemistry split of the most comprehensive, authoritative, and respected GOB text continues to lead the way with a strong focus on current issues, pedagogically rich framework, a wide variety of medical and biological applications, visually dynamic art program, and exceptionally strong and varied end-of-chapter problems. Plus, this edition includes numerous new resources to help students' understanding and comprehension of chemistry, i ...show morencluding full integration with our popular technological tools, OWL (online homework management system) and GOB ChemistryNow (student assessment program), completely updated biochemistry content, and expanded application to future careers for allied health students. Edition/Copyright: 6TH 07
New to the Edition
- The sixth edition offers increased emphasis on key skills with new "How To" boxes, such as "How To Draw Curved Arrows and Push Electrons."
- OWL (Online Web-based Learning) is now available for GOB! Developed at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, OWL is a fully customizable and flexible web-based homework system and assessment tool with course management. With both numerical and chemical parameterization and useful, specific feedback built right in, OWL produces thousands of GOB questions correlated to this text. The OWL system also features a database of simulations, guided tutorials, and end-of-chapter questions from the text. Instructors are able to customize the OWL program, use the grade book feature, and generate multiple reports to measure as much or as little information based upon each student's performance.
- New "Tying It Together," "Looking Ahead," and "Challenging Problems" at the end of most chapters give students a more challenging way to gauge their knowledge.
- New "Chapter Outlines" rephrase all the key points into questions thereby helping students direct their reading and thinking. The corresponding end-of-chapter "Summary of Key Questions" breaks down the answers into small manageable bits of information to help students comprehend the material.
- The new GOB ChemistryNow book-specific web site developed in concert with the text provides an effective learning package, bringing together the features of the text and technology seamlessly.
- Updated biochemistry content has been added (by Mary Campbell and Sean Farrell, authors of our market-leading one-term biochemistry text).
- Chapter 23 on Body Fluids has been removed from the text and will be available online for instructor preview or for custom publishing.
- The student study guide now includes quick quizzes to help students assess their conceptual understanding for each section of the text.
- The text's superb art program features annotated illustrations, molecular models, macro/micro graphics, and electrostatic potential maps designed to clarify and teach.
- Nutrition and digestion sections feature discussions of the roles of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in the diet, as well as references to the latest Dietary Reference Intakes and current fad diets, such as the Atkins diet and raw food diet.
- Many "Chemical Connections" boxes are located adjacent to discussion of related principles. The majority of the book's "Chemical Connections" boxes focus on health-related issues, effectively showing students chemistry's many real-life applications.
- End-of-chapter problem sets are organized by topic and are paired so students have two opportunities to solve the problem.
- Each new text is available accompanied by GOB ChemistryNow, both on the web and on a CD, featuring interactive tutorials in general chemistry, 3-dimensional organic molecules, and biochemistry animations. Prompted by an icon, students are encouraged to extend their learning into a multimedia, multi-dimensional environment.
- Long noted for its unique learning framework, the text contains the following pedagogical elements engaging chapter introductions, a running glossary, end-of-chapter summaries, end-of-chapter summaries of key reactions at the ends of the organic chapters, and a wealth of end-of-chapter problems, including paired, conceptual, and applied problems (a problem number in blue indicates applied problems). Other types of problems include "Tying It Together," problems which tie together multiple ideas, "Challenge Problems," which ask students to solve more difficult problems, and "Looking Ahead," which pair material in a single chapter to ideas in future chapters.
- The text features both a running and a separate glossary. Each defined term is accompanied by section numbers that guide students to corresponding text material.
- The text features plentiful in-chapter examples with worked-out solutions and paired problems, providing students plenty of opportunity to practice their problem solving skills.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2007
Other Editions of Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry -With CD: