This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Working within the framework of law and politics, JUDICIAL PROCESS focuses on the dynamics of the courthouse. The fundamental purpose of this text is to provide readers with a working knowledge of the major structures and process that underlie the American judiciary. The structure of the courts, the nature of how the laws apply, and the procedures followed all have important consequences for the way the courts deliver justice. This book attempts to help the reader un ...show morederstand not only the legal rules, but also the assumptions underlying these rules, the history of how they evolved, and the goals they seek to achieve.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
- NEW! Discussion of the landmark Supreme Court decision in Bush v. Gore that decided the 2000 presidential election.
- Every chapter focuses on one or two controversial court cases, examining the nature of the debate and highlighting the pertinent research.
- Each chapter ends with a list of key terms found in the chapter, references, and suggestions for further reading.
- NEW! Inclusion of controversial court decisions on questions such as same-sex marriages, school prayer, and the Pledge of Allegiance, showing how the courts assess important issues many of us feel passionate about.
- NEW! Difficult topics are tackled, including media and the law, the growing importance of interest groups in filing lawsuits, and the ineffectiveness of assistance of counsel, introducing students to the complex circumstances in which the courts must operate.
- NEW! A "Law and Contemporary Culture" section helps students relate to important topics by selecting a movie and examining its subject matter from a legal perspective.
- NEW! A "Court In Comparative Perspective" feature critically and objectively examines other countries' legal systems, giving students a chance to analyze and compare problems in differing systems.
- NEW! Includes an Internet resource guide at the end of each chapter with new InfoTrac exercises.
- NEW! Four months of FREE access to InfoTrac College Edition, an online database of full-length articles from thousands of journals and popular sources is automatically packaged with the book. Journals include "Constitutional Commentary," "Supreme Court Review," "Stanford Law Review," "Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy," and "Political Science Quarterly."
- The book is full of graphs, tables, and exhibits that give factual and background information while presenting the material in a lively visual fashion.
- "Key Terms" are highlighted and listed at the end of each chapter, introducing the reader to basic terminology of the field.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Other Editions of Judicial Process : Law, Courts, And Politics In The United States: