Summary: In an accessible, easy-to-read style, this text provides students with well-illustrated descriptions of all basic jazz steps and movements, including valuable information on alignment, improvisation, injury prevention, nutrition and fitness, and history of jazz dance. Throughout the text, "Movement Tips" boxes help students with particularly challenging movements, and "Precaution" boxes help students utilize correct techniques to avoid injury. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 05
New to This Edition
- Expanded and updated appendixes listing resources such jazz dance conventions, publications, videos, and websites, as well as a new appendix featuring jazz dance companies
- Reorganized coverage that better suits most courses, with the discussion of history moved to Chapter 1
- New and updated coverage of jazz dance history (now including an up-to-date survey of major styles, practitioners, and influences, from the African American roots of jazz dance to contemporary influences), alignment, proper nutrition, proper stretching techniques, Pilates, and dance therapy
- New student and instructor resources, including student worksheets that cover medical clearance, alignment, flexibility, and nutrition (included on perforated pages at the end of the text), as well as sample tests for instructor use
- Chapter 2, "Getting Started," provides students with coverage they need to be successful in jazz dance class, including information about what to expect, appropriate dress, dance etiquette, and basic styles.
- Practical information throughout the text includes popular "Movement Tips" boxes that help students with particularly challenging movements.
- The text emphasizes safety and injury prevention; "Precaution boxes" help students use correct techniques and avoid injury.
- Over 300 illustrations appear throughout the text, detailing all basic jazz steps.
- Chapter-opening photos reflect the diversity, range of styles, and excitement of jazz dance.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company