on Orders of $25 or more*
|Get your books quickly and easily... and pay nothing for shipping. Just order $25 or more and standard shipping is on us (excludes Marketplace and Rental offerings).|
|$3.99 flat rate|
|UPS 2nd Day Air*||$11.99 flat rate|
|UPS Next Day Air*||$19.98 flat rate|
* Not available for PO boxes and APO/FPO
** Saturday delivery is only available in certain areas. UPS standard rates apply.
*** Separate shipping rates apply for bulk orders
Pojman, Louis P. : United States Military Academy
I. ETHICAL THEORIES.
A. Classical Theories.
1. Immanual Kant: Deontological Ethics.
2. John Stuart Mill: Utilitarianism.
3. Thomas Hobbes: Contractual Ethics.
B. Relativism and Objectivism.
4. Herodotus: Custom is King.
5. Ruth Benedict: Ethical Relativism.
6. Louis P. Pojman: Ethical Objectivism.
II. THE SANCTITY OF LIFE VS. THE QUALITY OF LIFE.
7. Genesis and Psalm
8: The Creation of Humanity.
8. Albert Schweitzer: Reverence for Life.
9. Jonathan Glover: Against the Sanctity of Life Doctrine.
10. Tristram Engelhardt, Jr.: The Sanctity of Life and the Concept of a Person.
11. Daniel Callahan: Sanctity of Life Principle: The New Consensus.
III. DEATH AND THE MEANING OF LIFE.
12. Plato: Death as the Release of the Soul (from the Phaedo).
13. Epicurus: Death is Nothing to Us.
14. Richard Taylor: Does Life Have Meaning?
15. Lois Hope Walker: Religion and the Meaning of Life.
16. Jeffrie Murphy: Rationality and the Fear of Death.
17. Prasannatma Das: A Hindu Theory of Life and Death.
18. Aquinas: Suicide is Unnatural and Immoral.
19. David Hume: On the Naturalness of Suicide.
20. Albert Camus: Life is Absurd.
21. Richard Brandt: The Morality and Rationality of Suicide.
22. Margaret Pabst Battin: Suicide: A Fundamental Right?
23. Yale Kamisar: Against Euthanasia.
24. Glanville Williams: Euthanasia is Morally Permissible.
25. James Rachels: Active and Passive Euthanasia.
26. Thomas Sullivan: Active and Passive Euthanasia: An Impertinent Distinction?
27. The Oregon Law on the Right to Die.
VI. WHAT IS DEATH? The Crisis of Criteria.
28. Robert M. Veatch: Defining Death Anew.
29. David Mayo and Daniel Wikler: Euthanasia and the Transition from Life to Death.
30. John Noonan: An Almost Absolute Value in History.
31 Judith Jarvis Thomson: A Defense of Abortion.
32. Barush Brody: Against an Absolute Right to Abortion.
33 Mary Anne Warren: The Personhood Argument in Defense of Abortion.
34. Harry J. Gensler: The Golden Rule Argument Against Abortion.
35. Don Marquis: Why Abortion is Immoral.
36. Gerald H. Paske: Abortion and the Neo-Natal Right to Life: A Critique of Marquis' Futurist Argument.
VIII. HUMAN CLONING.
37. Leon Kass: The Wisdom of Repugnance.
38. The National Bioethics Advisory Board: Against Cloning Human Beings.
39. Richard Lewontin: The Confusion over Cloning.
40. Gregory E. Pence: Will Cloning Harm People?
IX. THE DEATH PENALTY.
41. Kant: Retributivism: The Right to Capital Punishment.
42. Thurgood Marshall: The Death Penalty is a Denial of Human Dignity.
43. Burton Leiser: A Retributivist Justification for the Death Penalty.
44. Hugo Adam Bedau: Against: Against Retributive Justification for the Death Penalty.
45. Sidney Hook: The Death Sentence: Limited Use.
46. Ernest van den Haag and Louis Schwartz: Death Penalty: Pro and Con.
X. ANIMAL RIGHTS.
47. Immanuel Kant: We Only Have Indirect Duties to Animals.
48. Peter Singer: All Animals are Equal.
49. R.G. Frey: A Utilitarian Critique of Animal Rights.
50. Tom Regan: The Radical Egalitarian Case for Animal Rights.
51. Robert White: The Case for Animal Experimentation.
52. Tom Regan: The Case Against Animal Experimentation.
53. Mary Anne Warren: Difficulties with the Strong Animal Rights Position.
54. Carl Cohen: The Case Against Animal Rights.
55. James Rachels: A Moral Defense of Vegetarianism.
56. Robert Phillips: Just War Theory.
57. Jan Narveson: A Critique of Pacifism.
58. Cheyney Ryan: A Defense of Pacifism.
59. The United States Catholic Bishops: Against the Use of Nuclear Weapons.
60. Charles Krauthammer: On Nuclear Morality.
61. Douglas Lackey: Missiles and Morals.
62. William James: The Moral Equivalent to War.
XII. WORLD HUNGER.
63. Garrett Hardin: Lifeboat Ethics: The Case Against Helping the Poor.
64. William Murdoch: Population and Food: Metaphors and the Reality.
65. Peter Singer: Famine, Affluence and Morality.
66. Richard Watson: Reason and Morality in a World of Limited Food.
67. John Arthur: Famine Relief and the Ideal Moral Code.
For Further Reading.
Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster?
We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
|Sell it back by:|
|Guaranteed cash back:|
|Cost of this book|
after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
What is the Marketplace?
It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options?
Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air TermsRental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.