Summary: For non-majors taking an introductory biology course.
It is built on a steadfast tradition of accurate science, engaging presentation and media innovation. With a price as flexible as its content, The Custom Core Edition allows you to design a text that meets the content needs of your course, while saving your students money.
...show lessEdition/Copyright: 3RD 04
- NEW - Ideal for instructors who prefer a mo ...show morere streamlined, less expensive text.
- The Custom Core contains chapters 1-16 from the main text.
- Includes the complete CD-ROM from the main text.
- Includes the complete instructor and student resource package from the main text.
- Priced reasonably (approximately $47 net).
- NEW - Allows instructors to customize the content easily.
- Simply add your choice of Chapters 17-30 from the main text (through Pearson Custom Publishing).
- Each additional chapter is priced at $2 per chapter.
- Take advantage of the minimum ordering requirement--only 100 copies over two years.
- How do you engage your students and help make biology relevant to them?
- Chapter-opening Case Studies and chapter-ending Case Studies Revisited.
- Provides an innovative framework for students to learn and make connections between biological concepts and processes.
- Highlights the relevancy of biology to everyday events.
- Earth Watch/Health Watch essays--Essays on exciting developments in biology.
- Introduces students to the exploration of key environmental and health-related issues.
- Helps students see the relevance of biology in everyday activities.
- Scientific Inquiry essays--Emphasizes "how we know what we know."
- Shows students that the processes by which scientists answer questions are as important as the questions themselves, enabling them to gain insights into the dynamic process of discovery.
- Evolutionary Connections.
- Links chapter concepts to the broader perspective of evolution.
- How do you encourage more thought and conceptual understanding over memorization?
- Major headings posed as questions--Answered by the conceptual subheadings.
- Engages students in the learning process by addressing questions commonly asked by students. Provides a context for the discussion that follows.
- What can a publisher do to make a text easy for your students to use and learn from?
- NEW - Annotated Illustrations and Graphics.
- Helps students focus on the most important points of scientific illustrations and graphs for better visual comprehension.
- NEW - Big Picture Boxes--A brief statement that follows key biological concepts to summarize the central teaching point of that concept.
- Helps students focus on the "big picture" ideas and make connections within the science, helping them to better understand the key takeaway points.
- Unique chapter organizing system--Contains a consistent numbering format to lead students through each chapter from "At a Glance" to the main sections of the chapter and on to the chapter summary.
- Enables students to follow through each section from a chapter overview to a review. Makes it easy for instructors to make reading assignments.
- How do you and your students currently use technology?
- NEW - MediaTutor, found at the end of each chapter-Links the text, student CD-ROM, and the Web in a powerful, easy-to-use student learning system.
- Shows the student the activities available on the MediaTutor CD for additional review, as indicated by the MediaTutor Tabs in each chapter.
- MediaTutor Web Investigations connect each chapter case study to an online activity so students can apply what they have learned.
- NEW - MediaTutor Student CD-ROM--Offers interactive tutorials featuring live art, animations, and simulations; also provides pre-tests/post-tests for each activity, self-grading quizzes and a glossary that includes audio pronunciations. Emphasis of tutorials is on critical thinking and understanding, NOT memorization.
- Provides students a pedagogical framework for understanding difficult concepts, assess their knowledge and understanding, and provide feedback on what to study next.
- Audesirk Live!--A dynamic text-specific Website that offers students relevant and fun applications of biology, along with self-grading study support.
- Provides independent student study support including over 500 new questions; up-to-date Issues in Biology, Bizarre Facts, and Destinations Links; and Online focused Web Investigations directly tied to Chapter Case Studies.
- Instructor's Resource CD-ROM--For the first time instructors have access to everything you need to prepare for lecture and assessment on ONE CD:
- Every piece of line-art plus many photos from the book optimized for lecture hall presentation.
- Ready made PowerPoint slides with editable art for customizable step-by-step presentation.
- The complete content of the Student MediaTutor CD, so you see exactly what your students see.
- Guide to Media and "How To" documents provide instructors with resources and tips for integrating media in their course.
- Test questions in Word format for easy customization.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2004