This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0321103505, 978-0321188397
ISBN10: 0321103505, 032118839X
Summary: current and recurrent needs of composition students and instructors.Edition/Copyright: 9TH 04
A bestseller since the first edition, it provides reliable and thorough coverage of such handbook basics as the writing process, grammar, research, and documentation, while also giving detailed discussions of critical thinking and argument, using computers and the Internet (for both writing and research), writing in the disciplines, and special writing situations such as essay exams and or ...show moreal presentations. Widely-used by students at all levels, LBH works as a comprehensive classroom text as well as an accessible reference guide.
The ninth edition of this favorite builds on its best-selling features with a stronger emphasis on academic writing, new "Culture and Language" notes that encompass both ESL and dialect issues, new material on critically reading images, and thorough integration between the handbook and its vastly expanded Web site. Revamped coverage of research writing provides the latest MLA documentation guidelines, stresses the library as Web gateway, shows how to use and document subscription services, provides a case study in evaluating a Web site, and covers plagiarism more extensively in a chapter of its own. A fully interactive CD-ROM accompanies the text.
- Authoritative, but accessible coverage of the writing process, grammar, research, and documentation have made The Little, Brown Handbook one of the best-selling handbooks of all time.
- An ideal reference, the handbook features over 150 summary, checklist, and test boxes, pedagogical use of color--including punctuation highlights--and a clean, attractive page design.
- Meticulous attention to research writing stresses managing information, evaluating and synthesizing sources, integrating sources, and avoiding plagiarism.
- Two annotated sample MLA research papers, one with facing-page annotations, illustrate research principles and format; sample student papers are also provided in sections on the writing process, argument, writing about literature, and writing in the disciplines to model APA and CSE citation styles.
- Extensive presentation of critical thinking and argument in Part II, "Critical Thinking, Reading, and Writing" introduces techniques of critical reading (texts, Web sites, and now images), focuses on reading arguments critically, and provides concrete suggestions for writing arguments (with a new sample paper).
- Thorough integration of computers and writing features scores of tips to help students use computers critically and efficiently, as well as separate chapters that offer rhetorically- oriented help with file management, e-mail, document design, Web composition, and online collaboration.
- Clear, cross-disciplinary examples and exercises in connected discourse represent realistic college writing, while illustrating rhetorical and grammatical concepts.
New To This Edition :
- Treatment of academic writing in Chapter 1 establishes a context for college writing, discussing subject, purpose, and audience in academic-writing situations.
- "Culture and Language" notes (formerly ESL notes) cover a wider range of rhetorical and grammatical concerns for students who speak standard American English as a second language or a second dialect. As before, ESL discussions are thoroughly integrated into the text, while an endpaper guide pulls all the coverage together in one place.
- New approach to an essay's subject gives detailed help on responding to specific and general assignments and on using questions to narrow a subject, develop it, and write a thesis statement.
- New section on critically reading images addresses visual literacy with a step-by-step method of analysis and a case study of an ad for Time magazine, complementing the material on critically reading texts and Web sites.
- Fresh examples and exercises range from new sample sentences to a new annotated sample argument and more than a dozen new exercise sets.
- Extensively revamped chapters on research writing address the rapid, dramatic changes in research methods with considerable new material on:
- Distinguishing library and Internet sources.
- Using the library's Web site, including a case study in navigating a subscription service.
- Evaluating Internet sources, including a detailed case study in evaluating a Web site.
- Gathering information from sources, including advantages and disadvantages of photocopies, printouts, and downloads.
- Expanded discussion of avoiding plagiarism is now treated in its own chapter and includes a section on Internet term-paper sites and detection software, more examples of plagiarism and its correction, and special advice for using sources in Web compositions. Additional support for this important topic appears on the handbook's Web site (a video tutorial and interactive exercise) and on the accompanying CD-ROM (a video tutorial).
- Up-to-the-minute documentation sections draw on the brand-new 6th edition of the MLA Handbook and the recent 5th edition of the APA Publication Manual to provide full, accurate documentation coverage, including extensive treatment of online sources. Chicago and CSE styles are covered as well.
- TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGE! New Web boxes throughout the handbook point to specific pages on the fully revised and greatly expanded Companion Web site. This powerful online resource now includes:
- More than 30 video tutorials
- More than 1000 interactive exercises
- Downloadable checklists and review exercises from the text
- Hundreds of annotated links to other useful discipline sites
- Usage flashcards
- Documentation examples
- Helpful information for teachers including Powerpint slides, Transparencies and the Instructor's Manual
- TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGE! CompSolutions Plus Interactive E-Book offers a complete, searchable version of the text, video and audio clips on key topics, interactive exercises, and Web links, including links to the book's companion Web site. An accompanying access card provides entry to the Longman CompSolutions Web site, which includes the interactive "Avoiding Plagiarism" tutorial, "Research Navigator," "Exercise Zone," and "Longman's Writer's Warehouse."
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Other Editions of Little, Brown Handbook: