This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Miller's LIVING IN THE ENVIRONMENT, 14th Edition is the most comprehensive and up-to-date environmental science text on the market. It has the most balanced approach to environmental science instruction, with bias-free comparative diagrams throughout and a focus on prevention of and solutions to environmental problems. Tyler Miller is the most successful author in academic writing on environmental science because of his attention to currency, trend setting presentati ...show moreon of content, ability to predict student and instructor needs for new and different supplements, and his ability to retain the hallmarks on which instructors have come to depend. The content in the 14th edition of LIVING IN THE ENVIRONMENT is everything you have come to expect and more. In this edition, the author has added the "How Would You Vote?" feature, which is an application of environmental science-related topics in the news. Students apply their environmental science knowledge from the book to a Web activity, which helps them investigate environmental science issues in a structured manner. They then cast their votes on the Web. Results are then tallied. Also found at the Miller website is the much used "Updates on Line." Updated twice a year with articles from InfoTrac College Edition service, CNN® Today Video Clips, and Web links, instructors can seamlessly incorporate the most current news articles and research findings to support text presentations. This is a time saver for instructors and part-time teachers who can quickly determine what ancillary materials they want to utilize in just minutes. As with the last edition, this text is packaged with a free Student CD-ROM entitled "Interactive Concepts in Environmental Science." Organized by chapter, the CD gives students links to relevant resources, narrated animations, interactive figures, and prompts to review material and test themselves.Edition/Copyright: 14TH 05
- NEW! The new "How Would You Vote?" feature at the book's website allows students to not only vote on environmental science topics but to provide their reasoning as well, so instructors can track critical thinking skills. The website provides students with references that explore different viewpoints and questions that can help them use critical thinking skills to explore the issues in greater depth.
- A strong emphasis on scientific objectivity and the need for non-biased solutions is another hallmark of the text. This important approach to the material is not only carried out through the discussions in the main text but also in Trade-Offs diagrams that summarize the advantages and disadvantages of various proposed solutions to environmental problems.
- Exceptional presentation and evaluation of solutions to ecological problems illustrate how to approach such issues thoughtfully.
- Numerous figures and easily understood diagrams can be found throughout to help students grasp the material.
- The book's increased emphasis on solutions to environmental problems includes input versus output solutions.
- NEW! A revised chapter order emphasizes biodiversity and places the major biology chapters together (Chapters 3-7). Because the loss and degradation of biodiversity is one of the most serious environmental problems, many instructors have requested that all the biology content be grouped together in this way.
- NEW! A learning-oriented feature has been added in the form of a brief headline and a one-sentence summary to each subsection title. This running summary promotes more effective learning than conventional end-of-chapter summaries.
- NEW! "What Can You Do?" figures are now found throughout the book to summarize what students can do within their own lifestyles to help deal with various environmental problems.
- NEW! A new introductory chapter provides students with a concise summary of good study habits and critical thinking skills.
- NEW! The current edition has an even more reader-friendly writing style.
- NEW! Many new and improved illustrations can be found in the 14th edition, as well as new topics including affluenza, four principles of sustainability, reconciliation ecology, reducing fire damage in national forests, nanotechnology, and bioterrorism.
- The website provides "Updates on Line," which points users to articles from InfoTrac® College Edition, and CNN® Today video clips. Instructors can incorporate the most current news articles and up-to-the minute research findings to support text presentations.
- The ultimate Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation tool for instructors can be found in this title's Multimedia Manager. All the illustrations and many of the photographs from the text, plus several animations, are at your fingertips on this powerful CD-ROM. The figures can be drawn on to highlight ideas during lecture. Removable labels and enlargement capabilities make this instructor's tool more powerful than ever.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.