Summary: For undergraduate courses in Long-Term Care; also for use in nursing assistant training courses. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 00
Stressing the vital role nursing assistants play in improving the quality of life for residents, this top-selling, cutting-edge text addresses long-term care with a writing style that encourages students to personally relate to the material, and offers a detailed and informative presentation that strives to make students' learning experience enjoyable. Maintain ...show moreing an emphasis on compassionate, restorative care that focuses on the individuality of each resident, it highlights the psychosocial and physical needs as well as the significance of resident choices and independence--introducing students to such areas as cross-training, subacute care, advance directives, and computer skills; covering guidelines for caring for residents with swallowing problems, Alzheimer's disease, and diabetes; and providing the most up-to-date information on infection control. Features
- NEW--Recent trends and changes in health care delivery--Examines such areas as cross-training, multi-skilling, and subacute care.
- Prepares students to work in any care setting.
- NEW--Current topics of interest--Presents a significant amount of new material, e.g., advanced directives including living wills and power-of-attorney for health care; bloodborne pathogens including HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C; growth and development including an explanation of developmental tasks at each age level.
- Keeps students well-informed and up-to-date on the health care industry.
- NEW--Computer skills--Includes the use of the CPU, monitor, mouse, files, and keyboard.
- Help students succeed both in and out of the classroom.
- Effective, student-friendly format--Presents easy-to-follow procedures that are well-illustrated with line drawings; guidelines that contain the basic principles of care; specific, measurable objectives highlighted for easy referencing; plus a complete vocabulary list, glossary, index, and an anatomy and physiology section that stresses the interrelationship of the systems.
- Guides students through their learning experience in a highly accessible and supportive manner, with pedagogical tools that promote and ensure their understanding of the material.
- Restorative care--Integrated throughout the book.
- Gives students consistent reinforcement of the essential role of restorative care in improving the quality of life for residents.
- Infection control--Presents the most recent information on infection control, emphasizes standard precautions and transmission-based precautions, and includes discussions on HIV, hepatitis, and tuberculosis.
- Keeps students abreast of the latest developments in infection control.
- Communication--Stresses communication throughout the text, including discussions on observing, reporting, and recording; increased coverage on computers; and includes a "Communication Central" end-of-chapter feature that contains age specific and culturally sensitive communication tips specific to the material in that individual chapter; an "Effective Problem Solving Through Communication" scenario where students decide if the communication is appropriate or not; and "Interpersonal Communication" exercises to test students' understanding of the material.
- Helps students understand the importance of proper communication, and encourages them to work on their visual, written, and computer-oriented communication skills.
- Chapter on subacute care--Covers care of a resident on a mechanical ventilator, or one with a tracheotomy, an IV, a feeding pump, or with gastrointestinal suction.
- Introduces students to this growing trend in long-term care with information that directly relates to the responsibilities of nursing assistants in this area.
- End-of-chapter exercises and "Competency Exam Preparation" --Includes thought-provoking exercises such as a Case Study and questions that relate to important issues in the chapter, and a Check Your Understanding section that includes multiple-choice questions.
- Stimulates students' critical thinking skills, reinforces understanding of chapter concepts, and helps them feel more competent and prepared for future state testing and credentialing.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2000
Other Editions of Long-Term Care Nursing Assistant - With Workbook: