Summary: Widely praised for its superior teaching apparatus and thought-provoking readings, The Longman Reader remains the most successful rhetorically organized freshman composition reader.Edition/Copyright: 8TH 07
The Longman Reader features highly praised writing pedagogy in a rhetorically-organized reader. The opening chapter offers specific strategies for active reading, and for each pattern-of-development chapter, The Longman Reader includes a detailed introduction that asks students to ...show more consider audience and purpose, concrete revision strategies, a peer review checklist, an annotated student essay with extensive analysis, prewriting and revising activities, and a comprehensive list of possible writing topics. Both beloved and fresh professional essays range widely in subject matter and approach, from the humorous to the informative, from personal meditation to argument, and capture students' interest while clearly illustrating a specific pattern of development.
- Two detailed introductory chapters discuss the reading and writing processes and show the integration of these processes, allowing students to see the entire reading-writing process illustrated.
- Fifty-eight outstanding selections represent a blend of favorite standards and fresh, new pieces on a variety of topics such as high-school sports, charitable giving, human capital, illegal immigration, free speech on campus, and Hurricane Katrina.
- Annotated student essays and detailed commentaries on the student's work illustrate the writing and revising process and highlight the kind of critical thinking necessary for successful revision.
- Detailed introductions to the rhetorical patterns clarify for students the unique demands posed by each pattern.
- Each selection is followed by extensive writing activities, including three sets of questions and four separate writing assignments.
- Unusually thorough coverage of argumentation-persuasion includes sections on audience analysis, refutation strategies, Toulmin's approach, Rogerian argument, detecting bias, maintaining objectivity, and establishing common ground.
- A ''Pre-Reading Journal Entry'' and a ''Writing Assignment Using a Journal Entry as a Starting Point'' frame each selection in the book to help students understand not only the connection between reading and writing but also the process involved in shaping a piece of writing.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Other Editions of Longman Reader: