Summary: This best-selling lab manual for one- and two-semester organic chemistry courses offers a series of clear and concise experiments - with macroscale and microscale procedures for each - that encourage accurate observation and the development of deductive reasoning. The author places strong emphasis on safety and the responsible disposal of hazardous waste.
...show lessEdition/Copyright: 3RD 99
- New! Extensive references to relevant Web s ...show moreites can be found in a feature called "Surfing the Web" at the end of relevant chapters.
- New! For selected experiments, a feature called "For Further Investigation" provides optional, additional procedures that students can perform to further explore the chemical principle being presented.
- New! A section on computational chemistry has been added to relevant experiments. These computer-based calculations are used to determine the precise structure of molecules.
- New! The order of the chapters has been changed to follow that of most organic textbooks. Similar types of experiments are now grouped together.
- New! Experiments now make use of much cheaper and safer solvents.
- New! Chapters on Molecular Mechanics and NMR Spectroscopy have been rewritten and exercises have been added.
- New! Three new experiments have been added - Experiments 34, 57, and 57 - respectively, "1,2,3,4-Tetraphenylnaphthalene via Benzyne," "Synthesis of 2,2-Dimethyl-1,5-dioxolane. The Acetonide Derivative of a Vicinal Diol,", and "Isolation of Lycopene and B-Carotene."
- At the end of every experiment, a "Cleaning Up" section instructs students on how to safely dispose of all by-products of the experiment.
- Each experiment includes information on the time needed to carry out the experiment, as well as the degree of difficulty of the experiment.
- Experiments in this manual have been performed by literally thousands of students over the years and are proven to work.
- Other pedagogical features include prelab exercises, marginal notes, clear line drawings, and questions for students, with answers provided in the Instructor's Resource Manual.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 1999
Other Editions of Macroscale And Microscale Organic Experiments: