This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Succeeding as a leader in the organization of today and tomorrow requires a special set of management skills and competencies. Organizations are being restructured and redesigned to be lean, flexible, and adaptable to change; leaders in all areas and at all levels of the organization are expected to be proactive, team-oriented, and focused on results; and diversity in the workforce has become the rule rather than the exception. MANAGEMENT: CHALLENGES FOR TOMORROW'S L ...show moreEADERS exposes students to these new challenges and contemporary issues that the leaders of today and tomorrow will continually face. This book includes a number of features designed to prepare students to be leaders in this new millennium: (1) meeting the challenges inherent in a dynamic, rapidly changing business environment, (2) developing the competencies and skills that leaders will need in the future, (3) bridging the gap between management theory and practice, and (4) responding to the contemporary management trends that will affect both organizations and managers in the 21st century.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 07
- NEW! We've added a new supplement--Service Learning Guide--for instructors who want to include a service learning component to their courses. Many schools are now requiring students to do community service as a part of their education. This guide shows instructors and students how to get involved in activities where students can put their skills and knowledge acquired in the classroom to work for the greater good.
- Thinking Critically: Debate the Issue: Each chapter includes a debate topic related to the content of the chapter. Students must learn to develop and support an argument.
- Web site: The text's support web site includes downloadable supplements for instructors and PowerPoint, interactive practice quizzes, exercises, and other information for students.
- InfoTrac College Edition (ICE): This text is packaged with InfoTrac College Edition, free of charge! ICE is a fully searchable online database that gives users access to full-text articles from more than 900 periodicals. Authoritative sources are updated daily and date back as far as four years.
- Textchoice Cases and Exercises: Textchoice is the home of Thomson Learning's digital content. The Management Cases and Exercises content database allows you to easily evaluate and select cases, experiential exercises, activities, and even your own material to create a course companion tailor-fit to your course.
- NEW! All of the chapter-opening and closing vignettes (Facing and Meeting the Challenge) have been updated with current, interesting examples. These boxes set up each chapter with a real-world challenge and close the chapter with the problem's resolution. They work to frame the chapter material in the world of contemporary business.
- NEW! The book has been streamlined into 17 chapters with a new design and softcover format.
- NEW! Each chapter includes a video case; 7 of these are new to this edition. The new cases feature companies that will be of particular interest to students--companies like Timbuk2, P.F. Chang's, and Lonely Planet.
- Leadership in Action: Leaders in Action boxes in every chapter capture "the voice of leadership" in today's organizations from a variety of angles.
- Now Apply It: "Now Apply It" boxes throughout the text, provide short experiential applications whereby students can "try out" chapter content.
- At the Forefront: At the Forefront boxes report on contemporary, often provocative, business trends.
- Updated End of Chapter Exercises: New cases, 7 new video cases, review questions, experiential exercises, and discussion questions help students review and apply the chapter objectives.
- Ethics "Take a Stand": The "Take A Stand" feature presents students with ethical dilemmas. Students are asked to evaluate various courses of actions in terms of their ethical implications and select the alternative that best meets the organization's needs.
Publisher: South-Western Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2007
Other Editions of Management: