Known for its cutting edge research and examples, Griffin's Management has helped hundreds of thousands of students prepare for careers in business. This highly successful program takes a functional approach to the process of management, with a focus on active planning, leading, organizing, and controlling. Ricky Griffin's straightforward writing style and well-researched in-text examples have made this book uncommonly student-friendly.
The Ninth Edition has been significantly revised to reflect the most recent issues that managers face, with a new and enhanced focus on the service sector, ethics, global management, and information technology. Additionally, the text integrates issues such as the balance of theory and practice and uses examples based on small companies and non-profit organizations to underscore the idea that management is not simply confined to large businesses.
- New! First Things First chapter-opening vignettes use real-world scenarios to introduce key themes for each section and capture student interest. You Make the Call end-of-chapter exercises ask students to refer back to these vignettes to make a judgment. Companies and organizations featured include Abercrombie & Fitch, Facebook.com, and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
- New! Closing Cases provide the student with a detailed case study at the end of each chapter and ask them to apply new concepts and ideas to a real-world scenario. All of these cases are new to the 9th Edition and have been written specifically for use in this text. The cases represent companies familiar to students, including Amazon, Nike, JetBlue, and eBay.
- New! Call-out quotes in the margins of the text provide brief ''words of wisdom'' from professionals from all walks of life. Featured professionals include Larry Page, Co-founder and President of Google, and Nicole Chettero, a public relations associate at TransFair USA.
- New! Boxed Inserts (up to two per chapter) focus on three key themes and appear throughout the text at appropriate discussion points. All boxes are new to this edition: The Business of Ethics boxes highlight the increasing importance of ethics; Technology Toolkit boxes focus on new technology and its role in management; and Working with Diversity boxes stress the role of diversity in organizations.
- New! Located at the end of each chapter, Test Prepper quizzes allow students to gauge their comprehension and retention of chapter material. Students can take these short true/false and multiple-choice quizzes and check their answers against those at the end of the text.
- Updated! Concept Checks appear at the end of each major section and provide students with a list of all the major points covered in the section for a quick ''mini-review.''
- Updated! Summary of Learning Objectives and Key Points replace traditional paragraph-form summaries with bulleted lists that are easier for student to scan and study.