Summary: For undergraduate and graduate courses in quality management, found in the department of management, operations management, marketing, or engineering. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
This text is a comprehensive introduction to the field of quality management, integrating the emerging body of knowledge in the areas of quality theory, quality assurance, and quality control. The author's practical approach provides examples, allowing students to participate in and manage quality improvemen ...show moret in manufacturing, government, and service organizations. Features :
- NEW - Increased emphasis on Statistical Quality Control--With separate chapters for variables and for attributes.
- Provides students with a more clear discussion of statistical quality control including an expanded discussion of reliability, creating control charts in Excel and additional control charts such as s charts and median charts.
- NEW - Six Sigma chapter added (Ch. 14).
- Provides students with an emphasis on tools and the organization of Six Sigma and DMAIC.
- NEW - ISO/TS 16949 introduced and other updates--e.g. ISO 9000-2000, the recent Baldrige changes, other new standards, lean manufacturing, design of experiments and more.
- Provides students with the latest approaches and standards for managing quality.
- NEW - Student CD--Contains PowerPoint slides, active graphs on SPC, Excel worksheets for SPC, and a link to the Companion Website which includes video clips.
- NEW - Updated Highlight boxes--Including Firestone, Enron, and 9/11.
- Draws students into the material with timely, interesting topics.
- Integrative/multidisciplinary approach--Discusses what "quality" means to people in different functional areas of the firm.
- Allows students to view quality from a variety of functional perspectives.
- Contingency approach--How to assess the current condition of the firm and identify gaps in quality deployment as a basis for future improvement.
- Prepares students to resolve differences between competing quality management theories.
- Current coverage--Discusses cutting edge concepts such as facilitation and training, quality in service, global organizations, and environmental quality.
- Enables students to see the value of teamwork and on-the-job-training.
- Quality tools and techniques--Covers the basic 7 tools of quality, the managerial tools, the Taguchi method, project management, and statistical quality control.
- Provides students with the fundamental tools/techniques that they can apply to their future careers.
- Practical applications-- Boxed highlights, introductory quotes, chapter questions, solved problems, chapter exercises, and cases.
- Provides students with practice applying the concepts with real world exercises that reinforce the text.
- Covers ASQ (American Society for Quality) certification topics--Curriculum for Certified Quality Manager (CQM) and Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) are found in the chapter contents.
- Exposes students to critical topics that are required for the certification exam.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.