This edition has also been released as:
Summary: This #1 BEST SELLER for Marriage and Family is the market leader due to its interdisciplinary research, perspectives and application (including Sociology), its focus on decision making and lifespan context, and its thorough, nonbiased coverage of American family issues. Lamanna and Riedmann, scholars, writers and teachers, provide an unmatched up-to-date research base and unparalled coverage of diversity in families, including gender, and cross-cultural comparisons.< ...show moreBR> Edition/Copyright: 7TH 00
- Unmatched strength in Diversity. Racial and ethnic diversity is emphasized throughout the text, as well as diversity in the make-up of the family of today. For example, a box focuses on a Closer Look at Family Diversity.
- New "Focusing on Children" sections provide up-to-the-minute research and coverage of what is happening to our children in America today. Sections appear in Chapters: 1, 2, 5, 8, 10, 14.
- New section on family "decline" versus family change in Chapter 1. More discussion on individualism versus famialism in Chapter 1 and throughout the various chapters.
- Chapter 2: Discussion of feminist theory expanded and updated.
- Chapter 4: New section on emotional interdependence and attachment theory; expansion of Lee's 6 love styles with empirical measurements; update of discussion of martyring; elaboration of discussion on self-esteem; overall updates from social psychological literature.
- Chapter 8: New section on covenant marriage, new section on cyberadultery; new section on defense of marriage act, new section on couple relationship types.
- Chapter 9: New material on Gottman's work on couple communications, on the mind--new section on communication and couple satisfaction, active listening.
- Chapter 12: New sections on biracial children, spanking, the resilient child, religious minority parents and their children, and on grandparents as parents. More attention to "responsible fatherhood."
- Chapter13: New expanded section on the sandwich generation; new section on home-based work; new section on work, family, and the single parent; Do Americans feel that they have enough time?
- Chapter 14: Updated material on divorce, divorce and children, is divorce necessarily bad for children, what can be done to address the negative consequences of divorce on children.
- Book ends with Managing Family Stress and Crises.
- The authors' Choices theme promotes informed choices based on knowledge rather than simply personal experience. As We Make Choices boxes appear throughout to reinforce the theme.
- At Virtual Society: The Wadsworth Sociology Resource Center (http://sociology.wadsworth.com), you can find surfing lessons (tips to find information on the Web), a career center, links to great sociology Web sites, and many other selections.
- Lamanna and Riedmann's text-specific Web site, accessed through Virtual Society, includes such features as hypercontents; interactive chapter quizzes; a Student Guide to InfoTrac; instructor's resources; chapter-by-chapter links to pertinent Web sites; and much more.
- The latest news and research articles online-updated daily and spanning four years! Choose to package InfoTrac College Edition (ICE) with this text and you and your students will have 4-month's free access to an easy-to-use online database of reliable, full-length articles (not abstracts) from hundreds of top academic journals and popular sources. Ideal for launching lectures, igniting discussions, and opening whole new worlds of information and research for students.
- The coverage of gender and the sensitivity to gender issues throughout the text is unparalled.
- The authors' use the research of the field and the choices theme to ensure a nonbiased presentation.
- Solid and up-to-the-minute research base. The authors pride themselves on knowing the research of the field, reviewing current research in all relevant disciplines, and making last minute updates right up to publication.
- Case Study boxes showcase actual interviews with individuals about their experiences with marriages and families.
- A focus on decision making throughout the lifespan.
- The authors show how relationships change over time, and how decisions and choices change in relationship to where an individual is in their lifecourse.
- Great cross-cultural comparisons throughout the text.
Cover: Other Format
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc