MasteringPhysics , a groundbreaking, research-proven online tutorial and homework assignment system, gives students the individualized help they need in real time.
A variety of tutorial and problem types are provided, with each problem type offering a different level of individualized, on-demand help to the student. Students can thus receive help exactly when they need it most--right at the point where they can't get any further. The feedback provided is based on detailed statistical research that has identified the most common misconceptions and difficulties students experience at each step.
Throughout, the student's path is tracked so they can receive partial credit for multi-step problems they made some progress on and their professor can quickly identify the obstacles that stopped them. The system has been rigorously tested at a range of schools with dramatic educational results and popularity amongst students of all abilities.
- The first Socratic tutoring system, specifically designed for University Physics, MasteringPhysics guides students through the solution of multi-step problems, removing the "I couldn't get any further" roadblocks with wrong-answer-based feedback and on-demand hints.
- A wide variety of problem types allows instructors to quickly build weekly homework assignments that combine practice, tuition, and testing through:
- Skill Builders offer detailed worked examples with multiple hint-giving options that focus on improving conceptual understanding or developing key skills. Hints and feedback offered have been developed from detailed educational research of students solving these problems and are ranked according to the most common difficulties at each step.
- Self-Tutoring Problems are "standard" homework problems that provide similar individualized help as a result of an incorrect answer or when requested. Including hints and simpler sub-problems, Self-Tutoring Problems help bridge the gap between worked examples and textbook end-of-chapter questions. They develop the student's ability to solve more complex multi-step problems and motivate them in this process with immediate feedback and grading. They also give students an accurate measure of how well they understand the material and where they need to study further.
- Electronically assignable homework without the compromise: Instructors can create homework assignments that incorporate conceptual and quantitative problems, and develop and test key skills at just the right level of difficulty.
- Electronic Gradebook with powerful teaching diagnostics: Detailed data for every student--including wrong answers submitted, hints requested, and time taken per step--is captured and automatically processed to drive the MasteringPhysics Gradebook, a sophisticated next-generation assessment tool. Instructors can see their class grades at a glance, and color coding instantly reveals students in trouble or problem areas for the class as a whole.
- Popular with students: The MasteringPhysics system is very popular--8 out of 9 students recommend it to their peers.
- Dramatic, proven educational benefit: Published studies show that MasteringPhysics significantly improves students' conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills, helps them learn more in less time, and helps them get better exam scores when compared with traditional written and hand-graded homework.
- Multi-step problems that incorporate a wide variety of answer types (including symbolic math, fill-in-the-blank, numerical, and multiple-choice) allow for a broad range of problems, encourage students to work through in-depth solutions, discourage guessing, and make cheating very difficult.
- Assignments at the right length: No more complaints about assignments that took too long. No more concerns that the instructor could have assigned more. The system tells instructors how long each assignment will take their students to complete.
- The means to make practice part of the assignment: Instructors can assign any combination of conceptual tutorials, self-tutoring problems, and traditional textbook end-of-chapter problems for practice or for credit.
- A straightforward method of grading with embedded powerful teaching diagnostics: Instructors can check the study behavior (including number of practice problems completed) and performance of each student with a few clicks of the mouse, track the week-by-week progress of their entire class, or spot problem areas at a glance to better inform their "just-in-time" teaching.