Summary: The Eighth Edition preserves the supportive style and winning features from previous editions and continues to adhere to more of the NCTM and AMATYC Standards with its increased emphasis on cooperative learning through "collaborative investigations," by including still more new and interesting applications involving real data, and by offering more on technology coverage via optional graphing calculator screens with accompanying discussions of how such c ...show morealculators can be used effectively in learning mathematics. Edition/Copyright: 8TH 97
- Chapters on Consumer Mathematics, and Matrices and their Applications.
- Sections on Simulation, and Measures of Position.
- Chapter opener focuses on an application of the topic to be addressed in the chapter.
- Many new applications that employ data, graphs, and charts from real sources.
- Collaborative Investigations at the end of each chapter are suitable for group discussion.
- Graphing calculator screens have been included as margin notes to show how this technology can be used with the text. Limitations of technology are often discussed as well.
- Motivational style of presentation gives liberal arts students an appreciation of mathematics.
- Flexible organization and self contained chapters enables a variety of course syllabi.
- Margin Notes explore the human dimension and historical context of mathematical ideas.
- "For Further Thought" special interest boxes encourage students to share their reasoning processes to gain a deeper understanding of key mathematical concepts.
- Problem Solving Strategies relate the discussion of strategies to techniques that have or will be covered.
- Extension sections cover additional topics in greater depth.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 1997