Summary: The fifth edition ofMathematical Reasoning for Elementary Teachers,with new co-author Richard Millman, focuses on mathematical knowledge needed for teaching--constantly showing future teachers why they are learning math content and when they will use this information in the classroom. To decide whether the methods or ideas of elementary students are right or wrong and be able to explainwhyto them is one of the most important aspects of teaching, and is the emphasis of this fantastic
Summary: The fifth edition ofMathematical Reasoning for Elementary Teachers,with new co-author Richard Millman, focuses on mathematical knowledge needed for teaching--constantly showing future teachers why they are learning math content and when they will use this information in the classroom. To decide whether the methods or ideas of elementary students are right or wrong and be able to explainwhyto them is one of the most important aspects of teaching, and is the emphasis of this fantastic text for future teachers. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:5TH 09 Cover: Hardback Publisher:Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc. Published: 01/11/2008 International: No
View Table of Contents
1. Thinking Critically 1.1 An Introduction to Problem Solving. 1.2 Poacute;lya's Problem-Solving Principles. 1.3 More Problem-Solving Strategies. 1.4 Algebra as Problem-Solving Strategy 1.5 Additional Problem-Solving Strategies 1.6 Reasoning Mathematically
2. Sets and Whole Numbers 2.1 Sets and Operations on Sets. 2.2 Sets, Counting, and the Whole Numbers. 2.3 Addition and Subtraction of Whole Numbers. 2.4 Multiplication and Division of Whole Numbers.
3. Numeration and Computation 3.1 Numeration Systems Past and Present. 3.2 Nondecimal Positional Systems. 3.3 Algorithms for Adding and Subtracting Whole Numbers. 3.4 Algorithms for Multiplication and Division of Whole Numbers. 3.5 Mental Arithmetic and Estimation. 3.6 Getting the Most Out of Your Calculator.
4. Number Theory 4.1 Divisibility of Natural Numbers. 4.2 Tests for Divisibility. 4.3 Greatest Common Divisors and Least Common Multiples. 4.4 Codes and Credit Card Numbers: Connections to Number Theory.
5. Integers 5.1 Representations of Integers. 5.2 Addition and Subtraction of Integers. 5.3 Multiplication and Division of Integers.
6. Fractions and Rational Numbers 6.1 The Basic Concepts of Fractions and Rational Numbers. 6.2 Addition and Subtraction of Fractions 6.3 Multiplication and Division of Fractions 6.4 Properties and Applications of Rational Numbers
7. Decimals, Real Numbers, and Proportional Reasoning 7.1 Decimals and Real Numbers 7.2 Computations with Decimals. 7.3 Proportional Reasoning 7.4 Percent.
8. Algebraic Reasoning 8.1 Expressions, Functions, and Equations 8.2 Graphing Functions in the Cartesian Plane
9. Statistics: The Interpretation of Data 9.1 Graphical Representation of Data. 9.2 Measures of Central Tendency and Variability. 9.3 Statistical Inference and Sampling
10. Probability 10.1 Empirical Probability. 10.2 Principles of Counting. 10.3 Permutations and Combinations 10.4 Theoretical Probability
11. Geometric Figures 11.1 Figures in the Plane. 11.2 Curves and Polygons in the Plane. 11.3 Figures in Space. 11.4 Networks.
12. Measurement 12.1 The Measurement Process. 12.2 Area and Perimeter. 12.3 The Pythagorean Theorem. 12.4 Surface Area and Volume.
13. Transformations, Symmetries, and Tilings 13.1 Rigid Motions and Similarity Transformations. 13.2 Patterns and Symmetries. 13.3 Tilings and Escher-like Design.
14. Congruence, Constructions, and Similarities 14.1 Congruent Triangles. 14.2 Constructing Geometric Figures. 14.3 Similar Triangles.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.