Summary: This is the most widely used mathematical statistics text at the top 200 universities in the United States. Premiere authors Dennis Wackerly, William Mendenhall, and Richard L. Scheaffer present a solid undergraduate foundation in statistical theory while conveying the relevance and importance of the theory in solving practical problems in the real world. The authors' use of practical applications and excellent exercises helps students discover the nature of statisti ...show morecs and understand its essential role in scientific research.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 02
- Uses mathematics efficiently and completely as a necessary tool to promote a firm understanding of statistical techniques.
- Precedes the presentation of probability with a clear statement of the objective of statistics - statistical inference - and its role in scientific research.
- Stresses connectivity. The authors explain not only how major topics play a role in statistical inference but also how the topics are related to one another. These integrating discussions appear most frequently in chapter introductions and conclusions.
- Takes a practical approach, both in exercises throughout the text and in the useful topics in statistical methodology covered in the last five chapters.
- Contains exercises based on real data or actual experimental scenarios which allow students to see the practical uses of various statistical and probabilistic methods.
- NEW! Introduces maximum likelihood earlier (Chapter 3).
- NEW! Covers multivariable transformations using Jacobians (Chapter 6).
- NEW! Includes updated examples throughout the text.
- NEW! Contains new exercises, some of which are theoretical, while others contain data from documented sources drawn from research in a variety of fields.
Publisher: Duxbury Press
Year Published: 2002
Other Editions of Mathematics Statistics With Applications: