This edition of Mathematics with Applications continues to be an excellent learning tool for applied mathematics students. As always, the text includes the popular margin exercises as well as comprehensive review of algebraic topics, but with this revision comes the fresh insight of a new co-author. Also, at our customers' request, this textbook has additional calculus content, allowing the book to be all that you need and more.
- Balanced Approach Multiple representations of a topic (symbolic, numerical, graphical, verbal) are used as appropriate throughout the text.
- Real-Data Examples and Applications have long been popular features of this text, and this edition is no exception. The data has been updated and added to throughout the text.
- Examples allow students to see how different problems are solved using the techniques shown in the book. As in the real world, many of these problems have multi-step questions and solutions.
- Margin Exercises, keyed to the discussion in the text, provide students with an opportunity to practice immediately after learning a new skill. These margin exercises essentially function as a complete, in-text study guide.
- Cautions highlight common student difficulties or warn against frequently made mistakes.
- Technology Tips appear within the text as appropriate to inform students of various features of their graphing calculators or spreadsheet programs and to guide them in using these tools.
- Exercises at the end of each section provide students with a valuable opportunity to practice the material that they have just learned in the chapter. Many of these exercises are tied back into the text, making for a cohesive learning process. In addition to the traditional and application-based exercises, there are also some exercises that require writing, the use of the calculator, skills from earlier sections, or are tied to past CPA exams. Many of the application exercises include real data from cited sources.
- End of Chapter materials include a summary of key terms and symbols and key concepts. Once students feel the understand these, they can complete the review exercises to confirm their comprehension of the material covered in the chapter.
- Case Studies appear at the end of each chapter. These case studies are contemporary, real-world applications of some of the mathematics presented in the chapter, providing at least a partial answer to the question, "When will I ever use this?"
- Pedagogical Use of Color makes this book's art program more effective in enhancing the mathematical exposition and clarifying many graphical presentations.