ISBN13:978-0521789769 ISBN10: 0521789761 This edition has also been released as: ISBN13: 978-0521783569 ISBN10: 0521783569
Summary: This book explores the changing nature of democracy in light of dramatic changes in the media of mass communication: the Internet, the decline of network television news and the daily newspaper; the growing tendency to treat election campaigns as competing product advertisements; the blurring lines among news, ads, and entertainment. It explores such questions as: Does the Internet make it easier for citizens to find political information? Do today's highly competiti
ve old and new mass media serve the needs of democratic citizenship? Does the new media environment produce public opinion that is more or less manipulated, or manipulated in new ways?
Summary: This book explores the changing nature of democracy in light of dramatic changes in the media of mass communication: the Internet, the decline of network television news and the daily newspaper; the growing tendency to treat election campaigns as competing product advertisements; the blurring lines among news, ads, and entertainment. It explores such questions as: Does the Internet make it easier for citizens to find political information? Do today's highly competitive old and new mass media serve the needs of democratic citizenship? Does the new media environment produce public opinion that is more or less manipulated, or manipulated in new ways? ...show less
Edition/Copyright:01 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Cambridge University Press Published: 12/28/2009 International: No
"...remarkably good...What matters is that the contributions are of a consistently high standard. They are both up-to-the-minute and often of lasting value. Although some caught my eye as especially good and interesting, it would be invidious to pick out any for special treatment here. The volume as a whole is important and develops some interesting insights and arguments. If you are interested in communications and the future democracy then this is a useful and important book."
Cambridge University Press Web Site, November, 2002
View Table of Contents
1. Mediated politics: an introduction W. Lance Bennett and Robert M. Entman
Part I. Democracy and the Public Sphere
2. The public sphere and the net: structure, space, and communication Peter Dahlgren 3. Promoting political engagement William A. Gamson 4. The internet and the global public sphere Colin Sparks
Part II. Citizens, Consumers, and Media in Transition
5. Reporting and the push for market-oriented journalism: media organizations as businesses Doug Underwood 6. Political discourse and the politics of need: discourses on the good life in cyberspace Don Slater 7. Dividing practices: segmentation and targeting in the emerging public sphere Oscar Gandy 8. Let us infotain you: politics in the new media environment Michael X. Delli Carpini and Bruce A. Williams 9. The future of the institutional media Timothy E. Cook
Part III. Mediated Political Information and Public Opinion
10. Reframing public opinion as we have known it Robert M. Entman and Susan Herbst 11. Political waves and democratic discourse: terrorism waves during the Oslo peace process Gadi Wolfsfeld 12. Monica Lewinsky and the mainsprings of American politics John Zaller 13. The big spin: strategic communication and the transformation of pluralist democracy W. Lance Bennett and Jarol B. Manheim 14. The impact of the new media W. Russell Neuman
Part IV. Mediated Campaigns
15. Issue advocacy in a changing discourse environment Kathleen Hall Jamieson 16. Implications of rival visions of electoral campaigns C. Edwin Baker 17. Mediated electoral democracy: campaigns, incentives, and reform Bruce Buchanan 18. 'Americanization' reconsidered: UK-US campaign communication comparisons across time Jay G. Blumler and Michael Gurevitch
Part V. Citizens: Present and Future
19. Citizen discourse and political participation: a survey Roderick P. Hart 20. Adapting political news to twenty-first century Americans Doris A. Graber 21. National identities and the future of democracy Wendy M. Rahn and Thomas J. Rudolph 22. Communication in the future of democracy: a conclusion.
Book shows a small amount of wear to cover and binding. Some pages show signs of use. Sail the Seas of Value
$1.99 +$3.99 s/h
HippoBooks-DB Toledo, OH
Our feedback rating says it all: Five star service and fast delivery! We have shipped four million items to happy customers, and have one MILLION unique items ready to ship today!
$1.99 +$3.99 s/h
One Planet Books Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day! UPS expedited shipping available (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes). Used sticker & some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not include working access...show more code or dust jacket ...show less
$14.95 +$3.99 s/h
omgtextbooks Pueblo West, CO
Cambridge, England 2009 Trade paperback Good. Trade paperback (US). Glued binding. 520 p. Contains: Illustrations, black & white. Communication, Society and Politics.
$24.99 +$3.99 s/h
SUPER BOOKS Fort Mill, SC
Buy with Confidence. Excellent Customer Support. We ship from multiple US locations. No CD, DVD or Access Code Included.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.