Summary: For courses in Licensed Practical/Vocational Nursing programs. Edition/Copyright: 03
This comprehensive text prepares basic practical/vocational nursing students to care for adult clients with medical or surgical disorders or diseases. With an emphasis on the nursing role, it explains the risk factors, causes, and pathophysiology of common disorders and diseases, and reviews diagnostic tests and medical management of the disorders. A focus on nursing care is presented in a nurs ...show moreing process format--including assessment data to collect, nursing diagnoses with suggested interventions and their rationales, and evaluation data to determine the effectiveness of nursing care.
- Nursing process case studies--Follows discussions of selected major disorders, brings the disorder and its effects on the client and family to life.
- Emphasizes the holistic nature of nursing care and allows students to apply what they have learned.
- Critical thinking self-checks--Follows each case study.
- Challenges students to expand and refine their critical thinking skills related to assessment and intervention.
- Rationale for each nursing intervention.
- Promotes students' understanding of the "why" of each action.
- Nursing care and procedure checklists.
- Summarizes specific nursing care activities for particular procedures or surgeries, and reviews key steps in performing previously learned nursing care procedures.
- Multi-system effects diagrams.
- Identifies clearly the multi-system effects of complex disorders--such as diabetes mellitus.
- Assessing Clients and Assessing for Discharge boxes throughout.
- Enables students to see the type of subjective and objective data to collect during the assessment, and assists them in planning the client's discharge needs.
- Pharmacology tables.
- Highlights the major category of drugs, common examples, purpose, nursing implications, and client teaching.
- Interactive care map--Provides a brief case study, assessment data, and a nursing diagnosis for a specific client.
- Requires students to sort the data and sample interventions, evaluate the results, and chart their findings as they work through the nursing process with a selected client.
- Clinical alerts.
- Alerts students to critical information for providing safe and effective nursing care.
- Chapter-opening Career Tips.
- Provides students with words of wisdom from a practicing nurse or nurse educator--tips that students can use as they move into and through their nursing careers.
- Chapter-opening Learning Outcomes.
- Helps students focus and define their learning as they read and study chapter material.
- Chapter-end NCLEX style review questions and test tips.
- Allows students to review chapter material and practice test-taking skills.
- Chapter key points.
- Reiterates important information from each chapter and stimulates a review of its content.
- Clear, concise writing style.
- Provides a straightforward presentation that is at an appropriate level for the basic nursing student.
- Four-color art program.
- Highlights major boxes and information (for quick retrieval) related to unique characteristics of specific population groups, manifestations and risk factor disorders, specific tests and procedures, and client teaching.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Medical-Surgical Nursing Care - With CD: