Summary: For courses in Licensed Practical/Vocational Nursing programs.
Answers the question, what do practical vocational nurses need to know and to be able to do in order to deliver safe and effective medical-surgical nursing care? This comprehensive text prepares basic practical/vocational nursing students to care for adult clients with medical or surgical disorders or diseases. With an emphasis on the nursing role, it explains the risk factors, causes, and pathophy...show moresiology of common disorders and diseases, and reviews diagnostic tests and medical management of the disorders. A focus on nursing care is presented in a nursing process format-including assessment data to collect, nursing diagnoses with suggested interventions and their rationales, and evaluation data to determine the effectiveness of nursing care.
Nursing process care plans-Follow discussions of selected major disorders, bringing the disorder and its effects on the client and family to life.
Emphasize the holistic nature of nursing care and allow students to apply what they have learned.
Critical thinking self-checks-Follow each care plan.
Challenge students to expand and refine their critical thinking skills related to assessment and intervention.
Rationale for each nursing intervention.
Promotes students' understanding of the ''why'' of each action.
Nursing care and procedure checklists.
Summarize specific nursing care activities for particular procedures or surgeries, and review key steps in performing previously learned nursing care procedures.
Multi-system effects diagrams.
Identifies clearly the multi-system effects of complex disorders-such as diabetes mellitus.
Assessmentand Client Teaching boxes throughout.
Enables students to see the type of subjective and objective data to collect during the assessment, and assists them in preparing for and practicing client instruction.
Highlights the major category of drugs, common examples, purpose, nursing implications, and client teaching.
Critical Thinking care map-Provides a brief case study, assessment data, and a nursing diagnosis for a specific client.
Requires students to sort the data and sample interventions, evaluate the results, chart their findings as they work through the nursing process with a selected client, and prepares them for on-the-job critical thinking.
Alerts students to critical information for providing safe and effective nursing care.
Chapter-opening Learning Outcomes
Helps students focus and define their learning as they read and study chapter material.
Chapter-end NCLEX-PN® style review questions and test tips.
Allows students to review chapter material and practice test-taking skills.
Chapter key points and key terms for further study.
Reiterates important information from each chapter and stimulates a review of its content.
Clear, concise writing style.
Provides a straightforward presentation that is at an appropriate level for the basic nursing student.
Four-color art program.
Highlights major boxes and information (for quick retrieval) related to unique characteristics of specific population groups, manifestations and risk factors for disorders, specific tests and procedures, and client teaching.
Edition/Copyright:2ND 07 Cover: Hardback Publisher:Prentice Hall, Inc. Published: 06/09/2006 International: No
View Table of Contents
Unit I. Introduction to Medical Surgical Nursing
1. The Medical-Surgical Nurse 2. The Adult Client in Health and illness 3. The Older Adult Client in Health and Illness-New Chapter 4. Settings of Care (new title) 5. Guidelines for Client Assessment (new title) 6. Essential Nursing Pharmacology-New Chapter
Unit II. Foundations of Medical-Surgical Nursing
7. Caring for Clients with Altered Fluid, Electrolyte, or Acid-Base Balance 8. Caring for Clients in Pain 9. Caring for Clients Having Surgery 10. Caring for Clients with Inflammation and Infection 11. Caring for Clients with Altered Immunity 12. Caring for Clients with Cancer 13. Caring for Clients Experiencing Shock, Trauma, or Critical Illness 14. Loss, Grief, and End-of-Life Care
Unit III. Disrupted Endocrine Function Chapters
15. The Endocrine System and Assessment-New Chapter 16. Caring for Clients with Endocrine Disorders 17. Caring for Clients with Diabetes Mellitus
Unit IV. Disrupted Gastrointestinal Function Chapters
18. The Gastrointestinal System and Assessment-New Chapter 19. Caring for Clients with Nutritional and Upper GI Disorders 20. Caring for Clients with Bowel Disorders 21. Caring for Clients with Gallbladder, Liver, and Pancreatic Disorders
Unit V. Disrupted Respiratory Function Chapters
22. The Respiratory System and Assessment-New Chapter 23. Caring for Clients with Upper Respiratory Disorders 24. Caring for Clients with Lower Respiratory Disorders
Unit VI. Disrupted Cardiovascular Function
25. The Cardiovascular System and Assessment-New Chapter 26. Caring for Clients with Coronary Heart Disease 27. Caring for Clients with Cardiac Disorders 28. Caring for Clients with Peripheral Vascular Disorders
Unit VII. Disrupted Hematologic and Lymphatic Function
29. The Hematologic and Lymphatic Systems and Assessment-New Chapter 30. Caring for Clients with Hematologic and Lymphatic Disorders
Unit VIII. Disrupted Urinary Function
31. The Urinary System and Assessment-New Chapter 32. Caring for Clients with Renal and Urinary Tract Disorders
Unit IX. Disrupted Reproductive Function
33. The Reproductive System and Assessment-New Chapter 34. Caring for Male Clients with Reproductive System Disorders 35. Caring for Female Clients with Reproductive System Disorders 36. Caring for Clients with Sexually Transmitted Diseases (Change to current terminology)
Unit X. Disrupted Neurologic Function
37. The Nervous System and Assessment-New Chapter 38. Caring for Clients with Intracranial Disorders 39. Caring for Clients with Degenerative Neurologic and Spinal Cord Disorders 40. Caring for Clients with Eye and Ear Disorders
Unit XI. Disrupted Musculoskeletal Function
41. The Musculoskeletal System and Assessment-New Chapter 42. Caring for Clients with Musculoskeletal Trauma 43. Caring for Clients with Musculoskeletal Disorders
Unit XII. Disrupted Integumentary Function
44. The Integumentary System and Assessment-New Chapter 45. Caring for Clients with Skin Disorders 46. Caring for Clients with Burns
Unit XIII. Disrupted Mental Health Function
47. Mental Health and Assessment-New Chapter 48. Caring for Clients with Psychotic Disorders-New Chapter 49. Caring for Clients with Mood Disorders-New Chapter 50. Caring for Clients with Anxiety Disorders-New Chapter 51. Caring for Clients with Personality Disorders-New Chapter 52. Caring for Clients with Substance Abuse or Dependency
2006 Hardcover Fair Minor shelf / edge wear. Moderate creases and wear from reading.
$1.99 +$3.99 s/h
Better World Books Mishawaka, IN
Sorry, CD missing. Shows definite wear, and perhaps considerable marking on inside. 100% Money Back Guarantee. Shipped to over one million happy customers. Your purchase benefits world literacy!
$4.99 +$3.99 s/h
Once Upon A Time Books AR Tontitown, AR
2006 Hardcover Fair This is a used book. It may contain highlighting/underlining and/or the book may show heavier signs of wear. It may also be ex-library or without dustjacket. All orders are ship...show moreped the same or the next day. ...show less
$66.44 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Westminster, MD
Used, Acceptable Condition, may show signs of wear and previous use. Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista or Mac OS X 10.3 or above
At least 280 MB RAM, a 600 mHZ processor and 110 MB of hard drive space
1024x768 (or larger) screen resolution
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.