Summary: For courses in Licensed Practical/Vocational Nursing programs.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 07
Answers the question, what do practical vocational nurses need to know and to be able to do in order to deliver safe and effective medical-surgical nursing care? This comprehensive text prepares basic practical/vocational nursing students to care for adult clients with medical or surgical disorders or diseases. With an emphasis on the nursing role, it explains the risk factors, causes, and pathophy ...show moresiology of common disorders and diseases, and reviews diagnostic tests and medical management of the disorders. A focus on nursing care is presented in a nursing process format-including assessment data to collect, nursing diagnoses with suggested interventions and their rationales, and evaluation data to determine the effectiveness of nursing care.
- Nursing process care plans-Follow discussions of selected major disorders, bringing the disorder and its effects on the client and family to life.
- Emphasize the holistic nature of nursing care and allow students to apply what they have learned.
- Critical thinking self-checks-Follow each care plan.
- Challenge students to expand and refine their critical thinking skills related to assessment and intervention.
- Rationale for each nursing intervention.
- Promotes students' understanding of the ''why'' of each action.
- Nursing care and procedure checklists.
- Summarize specific nursing care activities for particular procedures or surgeries, and review key steps in performing previously learned nursing care procedures.
- Multi-system effects diagrams.
- Identifies clearly the multi-system effects of complex disorders-such as diabetes mellitus.
- Assessmentand Client Teaching boxes throughout.
- Enables students to see the type of subjective and objective data to collect during the assessment, and assists them in preparing for and practicing client instruction.
- Pharmacology tables.
- Highlights the major category of drugs, common examples, purpose, nursing implications, and client teaching.
- Critical Thinking care map-Provides a brief case study, assessment data, and a nursing diagnosis for a specific client.
- Requires students to sort the data and sample interventions, evaluate the results, chart their findings as they work through the nursing process with a selected client, and prepares them for on-the-job critical thinking.
- Clinical alerts
- Alerts students to critical information for providing safe and effective nursing care.
- Chapter-opening Learning Outcomes
- Helps students focus and define their learning as they read and study chapter material.
- Chapter-end NCLEX-PN® style review questions and test tips.
- Allows students to review chapter material and practice test-taking skills.
- Chapter key points and key terms for further study.
- Reiterates important information from each chapter and stimulates a review of its content.
- Clear, concise writing style.
- Provides a straightforward presentation that is at an appropriate level for the basic nursing student.
- Four-color art program.
- Highlights major boxes and information (for quick retrieval) related to unique characteristics of specific population groups, manifestations and risk factors for disorders, specific tests and procedures, and client teaching.
Cover: Other Format
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2007
Other Editions of Medical Surgical Nursing Care - With CD: