Summary: Formerly titled Essentials of Mental Health Nursing, this leading text offers in-depth information in a manageable length as it presents concrete methods to help develop effective communication, assessment, and intervention techniques. Using the nursing process as the organizational framework - along with numerous clinical examples and nursing care plans - Mental Health Nursing, Fourth Edition builds students' confidence in their ability to turn theory into practice. ...show more The underlying theme is the importance of respecting clients' rights to their own values, beliefs, and decisions. Edition/Copyright: 4TH 99
- NEW! Critical Thinking Exercises feature brief scenarios and ask students to determine the appropriate responses. Suggested answers to the scenarios are in the Appendix, providing immediate feedback on decision-making skills.
- NEW! Critical Pathways offer guidelines for planning and implementing care for clients with specific mental health disorders. These pathways prepare and expose students to a tool commonly used in many clinical situations.
- NEW! Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC) taxonomy, the first comprehensive standardized language used to describe the interventions nurses perform, is included.
- NEW! The text includes two new chapters - Chapter 2, 'The Family and Community in Mental Health Nursing,' and Chapter 16, 'Grief and Loss.'
- NEW! Updated throughout, this edition has an increased emphasis on spirituality and the art of nursing - caring. Additional content is included in Chapter 12, 'Schizophrenic Disorders,' on the homeless population, culture-specific content, case management, community treatment settings, and psychiatric rehabilitation for successful living and working in the community. Chapter 19, 'Sexual Violence,' includes added material on sexual harassment and culture specific characteristics.
- NEW! Self-Help Boxes are updated with website information for major mental health organizations.
- NEW! A free Student Tutorial disk, packaged with each new textbook, includes 150 NCLEX-style questions with complete rationales for all possible answers.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.