Summary: Methods in Behavioral Research is a concise introduction to research methods and design for psychology and behavioral science courses.
- Clear writing and examples. The seventh edition retains the core strengths of direct, clear writing and interesting, illustrative examples. Challenging concepts and complex research design issues come to life through carefully chosen examples of basi ...show morec, applied, and program evaluation research.
- Decision-making emphasis. Advantages and disadvantages of research methods and design are discussed in detail throughout the text. This continual, thought-provoking reinforcement helps students understand each step of the research process and helps them become better consumers of research.
- Making sense of research. The text emphasizes understanding research. Reviewers have consistently praised the text for the diversity and quality of examples that help students conceptualize and critique research and research design effectively.
- Strong pedagogy. Questions at the end of each chapter provide direct, practical activities for students which will help them understand research by applying the information in the chapter. Other practical and proven pedagogical features include: end of chapter key terms list, chapter outlines, a general glossary, Appendix A on writing research reports with a sample published manuscript, and statistical tests and tables appendixes.
New to this edition
...show lessEdition/Copyright: 7TH 01
- More on non-experimental methods. Coverage of non-experimental methods and designs has been expanded to include two chapters: Chapter 6 on observation, case studies, and archival research, and Chapter 7 on sampling, as well as questionnaires and interviews.
- New chapter on measurement. Chapter 5 is a new chapter to this edition that focuses on measurement issues, including reliability and validity.
- Integration of computer / Internet information. Issues relating to the use of computers and the Internet have been integrated throughout the text (e.g., computer control of experimental stimuli, computer-based literature searches, and citing Web sources in research papers).
- More on research results. The coverage of research results has been expanded in Chapter 13, Statistical Inference, to include the concept of power analysis.
- Cultural Considerations. A discussion of cultural considerations has been added to Chapter 14, Generalizing Results.
- APA guidelines. Greater emphasis has been placed throughout the text on the APA Ethics of Research Guidelines.
- Sample paper. A new sample APA-style research paper appears in Appendix A, Writing Research Reports.
Publisher: Mayfield Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2001
Other Editions of Methods in Behavioral Research: