Summary: This very successful textbook is distinguished by a superior writing style that draws upon common student experiences to introduce economic concepts, making economic theory more accessible and interesting. "Case Studies" and numerous examples take advantage of students' intuitive knowledge of economics, building upon real-life situations. A streamlined design places pedagogy and illustrations directly within the flow of the text, making it less distracting ...show moreand more useful for students. A fully integrated program of technology enhancements sets this text apart by pairing the book with numerous online multimedia learning tools that have been developed to help the text better serve a wide range of learning styles. The text uniquely integrates classroom use of The Wall Street Journal by including a complimentary student subscription offer, as well as in-text pedagogy to help students learn to analyze the latest economic events as reported in the Journal. Split volume available for the one-term principles of macroeconomics course, as well as a principles volume (Macro/Micro) for the two-term Principles of Economics course.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 03
- NEW!-McEachern Xtra!: Recognizing that each student has an individual learning style and that different learning styles require different tools, the McEachern Xtra! CD (included with every new textbook) provides access to a robust set of additional online learning tools that address a variety of different learning styles. Xtra! includes the Graphing Workshop, a one-stop learning resource for help in mastering the language of graphs, CNN video applications, "Ask the Instructor" lecture video clips, and numerous practice quizzes. MAP (McEachern Assistance Program) to Learning Success is the central navigational tool for McEachern Xtra! that systematically guides students, by learning objective, through all available text and Xtra! multimedia tools to deepen their understanding. Each tool is accompanied by an icon(s) that identifies the learning style(s) for which it is most appropriate, so that students can choose the most appropriate tools to support the way they learn best.
- Unique End-of-Chapter Material: End-of-Chapter Questions and Problems identify the chapter concepts being addressed, allowing for easier assignment by the instructor and helping students find the material they may need to review if a question or problem gives them difficulty. Experiential Exercises are included to build research and critical thinking skills. Most involve using the Internet, The Wall Street Journal, or other media resources to have students apply the concepts and tools to real-world, hands-on economic analysis.
- NEW!-Enhanced Wall Street Journal Integration: Exclusively with McEachern, instructors can take advantage of powerful features to help teach students how to analyze the latest economic events as reported in the Wall Street Journal. Each new text comes with a complimentary student subscription card for both the print and WSJ.COM versions of the Journal. A guide to using The Wall Street Journal is packaged with the text, and most chapters include "Wall Street Journal" questions that have students apply chapter topics to analyze business, economic, and policy issues found in recent articles. New "Reading It Right" margin features present a quote from a Wall Street Journal article and ask students to interpret in based on what they have learned in the chapter.
- NEW!-The Latest Developments: This edition has been revised to reflect recent important events in today's economy, including the information economy (ch. 4), the Microsoft case (ch.15), income distribution (ch. 18), and the WTO (ch. 19).
- NEW!-Reorganized Material: Coverage of developing and transitional economies is now integrated throughout the text where appropriate, rather than being covered in its own separate chapter.
- NEW!-New Coverage: A section linking price elasticity and tax incidence has been added to Chapter 5. Pollution rights coverage is expanded, and includes a section distinguishing between command-and-control environmental regulations and the economic efficiency approach. Alternative strategies to promote economic development are explored in the international trade chapter (19).
- NEW!-Internet Integration: This edition makes technology more helpful by featuring an even tighter integration of text and technology. All Case Studies include relevant Web addresses and questions for further analysis. Net Bookmark margin notes identify interesting Web sites that illustrate real-world examples, giving students a chance to develop their economic research skills. Links for Case Studies and Net Bookmarks plus navigation tips and other information can be accessed through the McEachern Web site. To put the student in touch with information sources, nearly all data exhibits now include a Web address directing the reader to the latest data.
- NEW!-New Case Studies and Extended Examples: Case Studies (all updated or replaced for this edition) in each chapter are extended applications connecting economic theory to the real world. Each Case Study is integrated into the flow of the chapter and has a corresponding end-of-chapter question to enhance its illustrative value and reduce the likelihood that it will be skipped over. Case Studies and over 214 extended examples throughout the text have been selected to fit into 4 new categories that reflect a wide spectrum of real economic issues - Public Policy (policy issues), The World of Business (real-world business applications), Bringing Theory to Life (real-world examples from every-day life), and Information Economy (economics in today's high-tech environment).
- NEW!-More Exhibits: This edition is more visual with more exhibits added to reinforce key ideas. Graphs are clean and clear, with curves that are carefully and systematically color-coded to enhance student understanding.
- Leads by Example: McEachern uniquely introduces each economic idea by using common everyday student experiences to help bridge the gap between what students already know and the unfamiliar world of economics.
Publisher: South-Western Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2003