Summary: Emphasizing the conceptual development of statistical ideas, MIND ON STATISTICS actively engages students and explains topics in the context of excellent examples and case studies. This text balances the spirit of statistical literacy with statistical methodology taught in the introductory statistics course. Jessica Utts and Robert Heckard built the book on two learning premises: (1) New material is much easier to learn and remember if it is related to something inte ...show moreresting or previously known; (2) New material is easier to learn if you actively ask questions and answer them for yourself. More than any other text available, MIND ON STATISTICS motivates students to develop their statistical intuition by focusing on analyzing data and interpreting results as opposed to focusing on mathematical formulation. The new edition of this exciting text, enhanced with new material and features, appeals to a wide array of students and instructors alike.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
- NEW! New "Turn on Your Computer" features, found throughout the text, use Java applets from CyberGnostics' CyberStats program. These applets, which are on the CD-ROM accompanying the text, give students more opportunity for hands-on learning and allow students to explore statistics on their own.
- Users and reviewers have praised the examples and case studies for their relevance and high student interest. These case studies and examples are all based on real studies and use real data. This reinforces the premise of the text that something is easier to learn if it can be related to something interesting or previously learned.
- Unique and motivating opening and closing chapters draw students into the course and the subject matter. These chapters clearly illustrate that statistical methods have contributed to our understanding of health, psychology, ecology, politics, music, lifestyle choices, and dozens of other topics.
- "Turn on Your Mind" boxes provide students with more advanced challenges. These questions help students discover and verify important ideas for themselves. Based on reviewer comments, the text now includes hints on how to solve these problems; complete solutions are still available on the Instructor's Resource CD-ROM.
- Throughout the text, "Tech Notes" provide additional technical discussion as well as details about using MINITAB and Excel.
- "In Summary" boxes appear at points within the chapter where students typically need them, as opposed to being relegated to the end of a chapter or section.
- NEW! Each chapter features new exercises, including 20 new basic exercises per chapter that allow students to practice and review. These basic exercises complement the existing and new conceptual exercises found throughout each chapter.
- NEW! Examples to enhance key concepts and calculations have been added throughout the text.
- NEW! Coverage of random sampling and survey sampling has been expanded.
- NEW! A section has been added to the final chapter discussing non-statistical issues that can help citizens interpret statistical studies correctly.
- NEW! New Coverage of Additional Discrete Random Variables, Nonparametric Tests of Hypotheses, Multiple Regression, Two-WAy Analysis of Variance, and Ethics appear on the Student's Suite CD-ROM.
- NEW! BCA testing and homework makes grading and testing extremely easy for instructors. DuxStat, our online homework feature, allows students to complete all exercises in the text and submit them electronically for grading.
- NEW! A stronger supplements package now includes a Student Suite CD-ROM featuring technology lab manuals for SPSS, Minitab, Excel, and TI-83 graphing calculator, as well as applets from CyberStats, PowerPoint Presentation slides, data sets, and much more. The Student Suite CD-ROM is automatically packaged with new texts at no additional cost.
- NEW! vMentor: FREE Live Online Tutoring. Available FREE to your students when you adopt this book is text-specific one-to-one online tutoring help with a subject area expert who has a copy of the text you are using in class. vMentor features two-way audio, an interactive whiteboard for displaying presentation materials, and instant messaging. With vMentor, students interact with the tutor and other students using standard Windows or Macintosh microphones and speakers. Inside the vMentor virtual classroom, icons indicate who is in the class and who is speaking, sending a message, or using the whiteboard. To ask a question, students simply click on the "hand" icon. For more information on vMentor (including hours the virtual classroom is open), contact your Thomson representative.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of Mind on Statistics - With CD and Access Code - Package: