Summary: Mosaicos' common-sense, communicative approach addresses the realities of the Elementary Spanish classroom--where students come to class with questions about grammar or feel anxious about communicating in a second language--by presenting grammar as well as vocabulary in a communicative context within the main body of each chapter and by offering carefully sequenced sets of activities that build student confidence and provide abundant opportunities for communicative p ...show moreractice. Strategies as well as practice opportunities are provided for listening, speaking, reading and writing, and cultural understanding is developed along with those communication skills. A flexible set of supplemental materials including electronic versions of the Workbook and Lab Manual, a Student Video CD-ROM and Student Audio CD, allow students to learn and practice on their own, outside of class. Media, including Entrevistas, a new video featuring interviews with native speakers of Spanish and Notas, a new text feature that includes songs from across the Spanish-speaking world and accompanying activities, enhance the communicative goals of the course.Edition/Copyright: 4TH 06
- A visual, thematic presentation of vocabulary in a communicative context.
- Provides a richly contextualized, culturally authentic framework for learning and practicing new language using a wide variety of images and language samples.
- A functional grammatical syllabus--Geared to the communicative needs of beginning students. Grammar is integrated into the chapter presentation and is supported with guided communicative activities.
- Teaches students to communicate effectively and accurately, and encourages personalized exchanges.
- Guided communicative/interactive pair and group activities--Students use newly-acquired and previously-learned words, expressions, and structures in a variety of contexts.
- Enables students to comfortably gain and use vocabulary and grammar in communication.
- Listening activities that simulate authentic spoken discourse.
- Develops students' ability to understand spoken Spanish in a variety of contexts and situations between two or more speakers.
- A wide variety of high-interest, authentic Spanish texts.
- Drawn from a variety of sources, both literary and journalistic. Reading is taught as a process with pre-, during-, and post-reading activities.
- Step-by-step writing assignments consistently accompanied by writing strategies--Ask students to consider various steps in the writing process in order for their writing to be effective as well as easier to execute.
- Writing tasks relate to each chapter theme allow students to draw on their own perspectives and experiences in their writing.
- Integration of culture and language.
- Includes a highly visual Enfoque cultural section that offers students thought-provoking exposure to cultural topics and countries of the Hispanic world.
- Thoughtful use of media to enhance the communicative goals of the course.
- Integrated video and music content accompanied by activities and pedagogical support provide students with dynamic, interesting material from which to learn the target grammar and vocabulary.
- A flexible set of supplemental materials.
- Allows students to learn and practice on their own, outside of class.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2006