Summary: This new, proficiency-oriented introductory Japanese program emphasizes practical communication, the development of all four language skills, student interaction, and cultural awareness. Nakama 1 consists of 12 chapters, and Nakama 2 consists of a review chapter, plus 10 additional chapters. Both volumes feature thematically organized chapters that focus on high-frequency communicative situations and introduce students to the Japanese language and its three writing s ...show moreystems: hiragana, katakana, and kanji.Edition/Copyright: 00
The Houghton Mifflin Japanese Web Site provides additional materials for students and instructors, including links to relevant Internet sites and to a Japanese page co-developed by author Kazumi Hatasa that contains materials specifically created for use with Nakama.
- Hiragana (in Chapters 1-3 of Nakama 1) and katakana (in Chapters 4-6 of Nakama 1) are introduced through unique mnemonic devices that help students learn the characters. Ninety kanji characters are introduced in Chapters 7-12 of Nakama 1, and approximately 290 Kanji are presented in Chapters 1-10 of Nakama 2, with stroke-by-stroke writing techniques.
- A series of specially created manga precede each chapter dialogue and serve as visual advanced organizers.
- Chapter dialogues present a lively, continuous story line that illustrates typical daily events in Japanese life and provide a realistic context in which to learn vocabulary and grammatical structures.
- Exercises progress from directed practice to a wide range of open-ended communicative activities that emphasize pair and group work.
- Reading, writing, and speaking strategies are presented and practiced throughout the program to help develop students' language proficiency.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Nakama 2 / With Two Audio CDs: